Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Test results and reactions by medical profession :(

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM
  • 695 Replies
61 moms liked this

A little bit of basic information... I am due to have baby number 5 in december and the pregnancy was a complete suprise and unplanned... I am 42 so am immediatly classed as 'high risk' anyway because of my age alone...

I had a hospital appointment on Tuesday, and the Midwife left me feeling guilty, upset, scared and very angry... I have a 1 in 11 chance of having a child with Down syndrome because the blood test came back positive.. The ultrasound was excellent and the fluid behind the neck was the right amount, so there is no definant diagnoses at the moment...

I was treated as if there has been a diagnosis and was told by the Midwife, to have an amniosentisies, and to terminate... She didnt even say 'if the amnio results come back for DS to terminate'...That i have 4 healthy children already and that given that i am 42, what happens when i am no longer here... She never asked me what i had planned to do, or what my thoughts were, she told me what i should do... Nor did she ask me what my hubby wanted me to do, or his thoughts either...

Hubby and i have decided that we are not going to have a amnio because of the risks, and that we will love our baby regardless... That we are leaving this in Gods hands and will work together and face whatever comes our way...

Medical professionals need to be more aware of how they approach telling a mother they are 'high risk' and give some hope, rather than making a desicion for them based on a blood test result,  even before there is an exact diagnosis...

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM
74 moms liked this
Are there any other midwives you could switch to? I love midwives, but I would not return if any midwife/Dr talked to me like that. :(

((HUGS))

You do what you both feel is right!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nautired
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:17 AM
12 moms liked this
Wow I'm sorry that's horrible. I'd suggest changing to someone new.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife2jeff
by Joy on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM
4 moms liked this
Wow. I am speechless. I'm sorry:(
jshalas89
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM
21 moms liked this
What a bitch. I would not have let her get away with telling me that. I'd switch midwives REAL quick, too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyjenn84
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:30 AM
13 moms liked this
Sounds more like a MEDwife than a midwife :( im sorry. Time to look for other care!! Or you're in for an even longer pregnancy than normal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnmnancy
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM
96 moms liked this

I am sorry too. That was very wrong. The test only suggestsa higher chance, which is what you knew already. When you are 18-22 wks, get a level 2 sono to check for heart problems. Aside from that, keep on keeping on!  You might be interested in a site "Be Not Afraid" and also in a book "A special mother is born"

Your baby is perfect for you. God picked you to be his or her mother. You are a good one!

Nancy

1Angeland3Girls
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM
4 moms liked this
Omg, im soo sorry, i would switch, or complain. I hate rude doc, nurses, etc. We are people too, treat us as such! Don't talk to us like your reading a medical journal, with no sympathy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieGirls2
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:35 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm so sorry, that was very unprofessional and insensitive. Hope you are able to get a different doctor...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pacificamom
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Quoting wife2jeff:

Wow. I am speechless. I'm sorry:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1stTiiimeMommy
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM
12 moms liked this
My nieces came back positive and she is healthy as can be. No down syndrome. Stay positive, and switch midwives!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)