Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Anybody else having a homebirth?

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM
  • 54 Replies

I'm due Dec. 21 (end of the Mayan calendar, lol) This will be my 5th child, 4th homebirth and 2nd vbac at home :) Anyone else birthing at home or in a birthing center?

by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JocelynsMama1
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I just have to ask....if this is your 4th homebirth and 2nd vbac.....im assuming you had a homebirth that resulted in a c-section....can you tell us about how that went...I've always wondered what would happen in an emergency situation during a home birth....im assuming rushed to the hospital but im sure theres more details

chi_moma
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I'll be at a birthing center IN a hospital. I've always wondered about home births, how you plan it out with an OB etc. especially with other kids in the house. I know it's not the point of your post lol but I'm curious, this is my last baby and I live an hour from the hospital so if I can switch to a home birth I'd love to do it!

circle_of_life
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I had my first two at home. I have a tendency toward breeches. My first was headfirst and went just fine. I was in labor for 12 hours. My second was butt first at home. 6 hours. My easiest birth believe it or not. She was my smallest at 7.5 pounds. Then 5 years later I got pregnant with my son. The pregnancy went great. Towards the very end he kept flipping around. He'd be headfirst sometimes, and sometimes transverse or full breech. So we decided to just wait and see. She had me do these spinning baby exercises to get him to get head down and stay that way. So I go into labor and he's transverse so we had to go to the hospital. We live in a small town so they actually flew me to a big hospital and I got a c-section. By the time they sectioned me he was turned all the way breech with one leg up and one leg presenting onto the birth canal. The whole experience sucked (except for my getting to meet my beautiful boy) lol! So anyway three years ago I gave birth to my daughter at home head first! 10.4! That birth went great and really helped me heal psychologically from the trauma of having my son. I trust my midwife. She's very thorough and safe. A popular misconception some people have is that there is no medical back up at a home birth, but that's usually not the case. She carries oxygen, stuff to intubate a baby with. catheters, ivs, even pitocin in case of hemorrhaging. She just doesn't use anything unless it's needed. And she is very aware of every aspect of the labor and know when and if it's time to go to the hospital. She's delivered about 500 babies and her hospital transfer statistics are very very low. Sorry, I didn't mean to write a novel lol

circle_of_life
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I've used the same midwife for all my pregnancies. Most have a back up dr on call in case she needs to tranfer to a hospital. As for the kids I usually have someone there, my best friend or sister plus my mom is always there and everyone just pitches in and helps with the kids. Also my kids are spaced pretty far apart, 3-5 years so I usually only have one very little one at the time I'm birthing the new one.With my last birth, my son was present the whole time, he was so hyped up with the birth energy I guess that he didn't fall asleep til about 12 am, and it worked out good because right after he crashed I hit transition and had Stella Moon an hour later, lol

Quoting chi_moma:

I'll be at a birthing center IN a hospital. I've always wondered about home births, how you plan it out with an OB etc. especially with other kids in the house. I know it's not the point of your post lol but I'm curious, this is my last baby and I live an hour from the hospital so if I can switch to a home birth I'd love to do it!

mnmo3bb
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I had my fourth in a midwife unit next to L & D. It was great. Closest to a homebirth I can imagine... They asked for my birth plan and followed it! I switched care to them at 35 weeks after my OB said I could labor and push in any position but HAD to deliver on my back! I had three apps with the midwives and my baby girl was born at 37 (probably 38 - she is short so I think the old clinic had her due date wrong that's a whole 'nother post!) she was 7lbs even and perfect! I started with the midwives with this pregnancy and am looking forward to delivering there again :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xredstarsx
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:32 PM
I will be having my first homebirth and vbac in december. I am excited and scared!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughterHugs
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Yup, 2nd home birth, 2nd vbac :)
SaraSnider
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:37 PM
I cant afford it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Nope. I wish we could afford it! : *( But, I am doing the next best thing: birthing at home with a doula and DH has long as possible, then going in just short of crowning to a hospital birthing center, with midwives and nice tube, that is designated baby-friendly. : ) 

jaydensmomma707
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I wanted to but no midwives with in 3 hrs of me!!! ugh! I'm too chicken to go unassisted though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)