Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do you think moms should share the gender of their baby when they find out, or create a cute way of announcing it?

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

Our parents and grandparents said they expect me to call them the day I learn the gender of the baby so they can start shopping and making blankets for the baby. My sister-in-law is throwing me a baby shower and specifically asked me not to tell them so that she can do cute announcement pics (me with a ribbon and tag saying "girl" or "boy" tied to my belly) to include in the shower invites. I don't care either way when people find out and neither does hubby.....

Here is the problem. The ultrasound this coming Wednsday. Hopefully we will know the gender next week. And my shower invites are not going out until August! Someone has to compromise. But who should it be?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kris0921
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Call your grandpartens, and tell just them and aske to keep it quiet until the shower invites go out.

Marimaru
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

If people are talking about making blankets (I assume crochet or knitting) I would tell your friend "Sorry, but I have family making me things, and I want them to not have to feel rushed about it.  You can do that for the invite anyway, but some people at least are going to know the gender."

gacgbaker
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:45 AM

I think she could do the idea for the announcements and you can tell- not everyone on the invite list will 'hear' and the idea will still be cute even if they hear about it before hand.  August is a long time to not worry about slipping up and spilling the beans!

Squirmey
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

we want to do something a little different too....we will find out what our nugget is in July...so we are doing a gender reveal party...we will have a cake done and the inside will be blue or pink...we'll invite our close friends and what little family we have here....what I can't decide is if we should make it a surprise for us too and have the US tech write down what it is in a sealed envelop;e and take that to the cake person and we'll find out together with our friends and family OR if we should just find out during the US and then not tell anyone else...(thats gonna be hard!!)  :)   for your situation I would tell the grandparents and let friends coming to the shower find out on the invites...thats very cute!!!

HaviksMum
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM
I wanted to do something cute, but was just way to excited... I did however get pink balloons and brought them home to my son who really wanted a baby sister, when he seen the balloons were pink his smile was priceless!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meli55aG2001
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I think that the parents should decide on their own terms if they want to share and how they want to share. I found out with my two girls but I'm planning on not finding out what this baby is until it's born. If any of my friends or family have a problem, well it's their problem and I don't have to share the gender if I don't want to.

For your situation, I would let the grandparents know so that they don't feel rushed with their projects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Personally, I don't "get" the big deal with gender reveal.  Find out if you want, tell who you want.  

I don't understand parties or anything like that.  

If you (or whoever is giving the shower) wants to reveal the gender at the shower, have at it.  If people find out before, it's not the end of the world.   

Ultimately, it's the choice of the parents to be and that's that.  

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 23, 2012 at 2:05 AM

I think it should be up to the parents to do it how THEY want! I wanted to wait and announce our second baby a special way but my MIL said she would show up at our door at 5am the next day if we waited. And she was serious. She would have bullied the answer out of us.

For your situation, I think you should announce it sooner rather than in the shower invites. She can still do the cute picture. You could compromise by only announcing to family. But it's not like you are inviting EVERYONE to your shower so they wouldn't get the announcement from your SIL.

-Kney-
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 2:15 AM
Its up to you but i would tell them if they are making something you dont want them to rush or feel the need to

Wr find out July 12th and we are gonna paint my belly half pink and half blue have friends/family guess (for fb since most family lives away) then have my son point to the color we are having. But we will call our parents and my aunt but till them to keep their mouth shut so they dont ruin our plan
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waitingforbaby5
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM
I would suprised them .

Quoting amber710:

Our parents and grandparents said they expect me to call them the day I learn the gender of the baby so they can start shopping and making blankets for the baby. My sister-in-law is throwing me a baby shower and specifically asked me not to tell them so that she can do cute announcement pics (me with a ribbon and tag saying "girl" or "boy" tied to my belly) to include in the shower invites. I don't care either way when people find out and neither does hubby.....

Here is the problem. The ultrasound this coming Wednsday. Hopefully we will know the gender next week. And my shower invites are not going out until August! Someone has to compromise. But who should it be?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)