Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Inducing labor, thoughts?

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM
  • 35 Replies

I am 36 weeks, 2 days pregnant and I really want to be induced about 10 days early ( due date is july 20) because I would really like a certain family member to be in the delivery room with me but she lives 4 hours away. What are your thoughts on inducing labor?? Thank you :)

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 4:26 PM
7 moms liked this

Unnecessary risks *can* mean serious harm to mother/baby.
So not worth it, imo.

Birth is a process that probably lasts about a month or more, when
you think of how the baby works his/her way into position, mom's body
prepares with the uterus thickening at the top and thinning at the
bottom and the cervix prepares itself to dilate for the final pushes in
this process. It is such an amazing, divine plan and in this day and age
so easily disturbed—possibly as never before. I think induction,
possibly in any form, can disrupt this plan, interrupting the baby's
process of positioning and getting ready to be born. As Carla Hartley
says, "Birth is safe, interference is risky."

— Jan Tritten, mother of Midwifery Today
magazine

ikesmommy200
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM
2 moms liked this
Im not fan of early inductions. Its been found that although many babies have fullu developed lungs at 37 weeks, they may not be ready quite yet. Their liver, digestive system, and brain still may need more time. Of course risks are much lower for babies who come naturally before 40 weeks. I had my oldest at 38 weeks naturally and he had jaundice. I am now 38 weeks and was given the optiom of induction 2 days ago but turned it down. As miserable as I am, the baby needs to stay in longer. I will deal with restricted activities, dehydration, ivs, ane discomfort another 4 weeks if baby will be healthier, of course unless there is a reason baby would be healthier if I did deliver.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staciababy
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm being induced at 38 weeks and 4 days. My husband starts nursing school on my due date, and we want time for him to be able to spend with the baby. Plus, we chose a Friday so he doesn't have to use a lot of paid time off. If problems exist or it looks like it may not be a good idea in any way, we'll forego it. But for us, induction and an epidural is our kinda birth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BiPolarMomto3
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:39 PM
2 moms liked this
It is certainly your choice REGARDLESS of the opinions you get here. Talk with your Dr. and do YOUR OWN research!!! I have been electively induced twice and it was the best thing for me! Good luck and please let me know how it goes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathermarie23
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't, I like my babies to come when they are ready.

Taylor.gibson74
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM
You got to choose to be induced and the day?

Quoting staciababy:

I'm being induced at 38 weeks and 4 days. My husband starts nursing school on my due date, and we want time for him to be able to spend with the baby. Plus, we chose a Friday so he doesn't have to use a lot of paid time off. If problems exist or it looks like it may not be a good idea in any way, we'll forego it. But for us, induction and an epidural is our kinda birth!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM
What number baby is this for you? Is your doctor on board with inducing that early for that reason?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allie_kat1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it is irresponsible and dangerous to induce for convenience. This coming from a woman who has a fiance that drives semi and depending on where he is when I call him can easily take 12-18+ hrs to make it home. If there is a true medical need for induction, that is obviously a different story. However putting both mom and baby at increased risk for complications and csection just for the sake of convenience is wrong in my opinion.

mama2my2boys
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this
ugh painfull and sooo not worth the much stronger pain if not need me (for medical reasons i say go for it because its whats best for baby) but to be induced for non medical reasons heck no!....way to many risks and maybe baby isnt ready to be out yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Jun. 23, 2012 at 5:47 PM
3 moms liked this

I think inductions should only be used when absolutely necessary because they are so risky. And much harder to go through than natural labor both for the Mom and baby. Your labor will probably be at least 12 hours especially if this is your first baby. That's plenty of time for your friend to get there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured