Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Inducing labor, thoughts?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am 36 weeks, 2 days pregnant and I really want to be induced about 10 days early ( due date is july 20) because I would really like a certain family member to be in the delivery room with me but she lives 4 hours away. What are your thoughts on inducing labor?? Thank you :)

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Replies (31-35):
babynurse244
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 6:40 PM
3 moms liked this
You have a right to a say in your care. That being said, I'm a nurse at a regional perinatal center. We get the worst of the worst and the sickest of the sick. Our patients come to us from all over the world. Our hospital adopted ACOG guidelines about 18 months ago regarding no elective inductions prior to 39 weeks without a medical reason. Our C/S rate has gone from 34% to 21%. The only change we've made is not inducing wothout a medical reason prior to 39 weeks. It does make a difference when your body and the baby are ready. We are now well below the national average for C/S rates, even with our extremely high risk population. Any induction prior to 39 weeks without a confirmed medical diagnosis must be personally discussed with the OB chief unless it's multiples. I think the statistics sort of speak for themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow! That an INCREDIBLE decrease! Thank you for sharing that information!

Quoting babynurse244:

You have a right to a say in your care. That being said, I'm a nurse at a regional perinatal center. We get the worst of the worst and the sickest of the sick. Our patients come to us from all over the world. Our hospital adopted ACOG guidelines about 18 months ago regarding no elective inductions prior to 39 weeks without a medical reason. Our C/S rate has gone from 34% to 21%. The only change we've made is not inducing wothout a medical reason prior to 39 weeks. It does make a difference when your body and the baby are ready. We are now well below the national average for C/S rates, even with our extremely high risk population. Any induction prior to 39 weeks without a confirmed medical diagnosis must be personally discussed with the OB chief unless it's multiples. I think the statistics sort of speak for themselves.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

UncertainHopefl
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:58 PM

baby isnt fully developed completely until 40 weeks, the proffess.z say to wait until labor starts on its own.

summerbear
by Rachel on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

All 3 of mine were born via inductions! The first (38w6d) because my water tore high and they wanted to start labor. The second was my choice because I was 41 weeks 1 day and I was d.o.n.e. The third (39w) was because I was a wimp and didn't want to wait anymore because I was scared he was going to be big like my first 2 were. (8.15 and 9.2) He wasn't. He was 8.6. So, obviousily I am ok with inductions. But be forewarned (I haven't read the replies so this might have already been stated) the March of Dimes calls for NO elective inductions before 39 weeks, unless medically needed. So if your family member can wait 3 more days, you might not be able to get what you want with them being in the room :(

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jun. 25, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Sorry, no. 

Selfish and ignorant if it isn't medically needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)