Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

false positive?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 10 Replies
Has anyone ever had one? I was just thinking, and I remember, about a year and a half ago... I got a false positive on a pregnancy test. The first one was false... then I waited another few days for see if i was going to start... and I didn't, so i took another... and it was positive.. then took another the next day, and it was negative. Lol talk about confusing! I just went to the doctor and got a test done there and it was negative. What would cause a false positive anyway?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Pregnancy tests detect hcg, which is only produced if you are, in fact, pregnant, or very rarely due to some types of cancer. It is more likely that someone has a faulty test or actually has had a chemical pregnancy. A true false positive is nearly impossible.

nickigoingon8
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I talked to a person at a pregnancy test company and they said it is very rare to get a false positive. That normally there isn't a false positive only a false negative...I would ask for a blood test.

CafeMom Tickers
bmack2107
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:16 AM
This was a year and a half ago that this happened and I did go in for a blood test... it was so weird. The test I took came out as a clear positive but the other two in the box came out negative.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skmehlebam
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Ditto what the first two posters said and to add to it, evaps can be pink/blue and show up in the timeframe. Without a pic I cant say if what you saw was a true bfp.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3_times_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I had 2 false positives on a digital. About 7 years ago they came out with a digital that lit up with either a + or a -... 2 of mine came out + so I went to the doc for a blood test which was negative. About a week later those tests were recalled for giving false positives.
NoraDun
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I have gotten many false positive tests with an HCG of O. Its just faulty tests. It happens more often then you think. I was always told it was impossible but that just isn't the case. There are times however when people test positive before their missed period only to start their period on time or a few days later. That is known as a chemical pregnancy or miscarraige. 

Their are also certain conditions and certain drugs that can cause false positives. Even drinking a TON of soda can supposidly cause false positives!

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:53 PM
i didnt think there were false positives
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikkiAtkinson
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM
I've never experienced a false positive.. False negative though? Yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM

False positives are VERY rare and it's more likely that you'd have a chemical pregnancy (pregnancy that ends before you're able to hear a heart beat/before you even know you're pregnant) rather than it be a false positive. With that being said I did get false positives last year (June). I know they were false because the brand I used (cheap internet brand) was giving me a positive yet the FRER was not (used the same urine, etc). 

Vinsmomma
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:34 PM
I had a false positive in the evening, and the next morning had a negative. It was a blue dye test which are know to give false positives, scared the poo out of me!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)