Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Thinking of having a water birth...information please :)

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

i am currently 29 weeks with my third child. I was contemplating having a water birth, but would like as much information as possible to make the right decision of course. I have had 2 normal vaginal deliveries with no complications. I did have an epidural both times and im not real keen on the pain of labor. But i would like to give something new a chance, so please, any information will help me. 

Thank You :-)

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmqw229
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I just had a water birth in the hospital on Monday. It was my 3rd & by far my best birth experience!

For me, the first step was to fill out the proper paper work & be tested for Hep C. My hospital also only had one birthing tub, so if there was someone in it I couldn't use it.

My water broke 2 hours before I got into the pool & I was dialated to a 3. I got in the tub for pain relief and it helped immensely. They turned the lights down, played relaxing music & did aromatherapy. My midwife was going to let me labor in the pool for a while and if it didn't help we were going to try something else. 45 minutes after I got in, I pushed my baby out. It was an amazing experience!!

The only thing I didn't like was that they made me get out to deliver the placenta. I was super shaky!

I would definately reccomend a water birth to anyone & will do it again if we ever have another baby.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
schultzal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I haven't had a water birth, but it is a possibility for me. I will kind of decide when I go to the birth centre in labor. 

Here are some sites with information:

http://www.waterbirthinfo.com/

http://www.waterbirth.org/waterbirth-information

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/waterbirth.html

http://www.birthjourney.com/waterbirth_realities.php

Hope that helps! Best of luck with your birth. :)

K.Axson412
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 10:57 PM

i dont have a midwife, just an OB. I would like to try it in the hospital, so i will also be asking my doctor at my next appointment. It sounds like it would be an incredible experience. I never entertained the idea until last week. 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM

What are you interesting in learning about?

:-)

Where do you want to deliver?

earthmama727
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Was gonna ask a very similar question! I know with my first, after several hours walking outside, I came in to take a hot shower and I couldn't even feel the contractions under the water. Then we filled our big inflatable tub and I didn't fill it enough cause I thought i'd be in there long enough that it would cool and I'd have to add to it. But labor started progressing so quickly at that point, we emptied it to take it to the hospital with us and my husband ripped the bottom and we had to go the rest of labor without it!   I can say I truley didn't even feel the contractions in the shower. In the tub I felt them, but they were MUCH more tolerable.  Had we filled it the rest of the way and had slightly hotter water I bet it would have been fabulous.   Part of the drawback I think was my positioning. During my labor, I loved standing and hated sitting or laying down in any position, so in the tub i way layingh on my side... Don't know why I didn't think to squat in the tub... I'd been in labor for somet ime at that point. Not hinking clearly I guess...

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Quoting K.Axson412:

i dont have a midwife, just an OB. I would like to try it in the hospital, so i will also be asking my doctor at my next appointment. It sounds like it would be an incredible experience. I never entertained the idea until last week. 

I would encourage you to get informed and research, develop your preferences and then hire a care provider that will definitely help you to achieve this.

samara_love33
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM
I too want to have a water birth; I don't want any type of meds though except maybe an iv for dehydration. I wish you luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Quoting samara_love33:

I too want to have a water birth; I don't want any type of meds though except maybe an iv for dehydration. I wish you luck

With normal (natural) birthing, moms tend to be engouraed to do things normally (naturally)---     like drink glasses of water~

;-)

So you are planning a hospital water birth?

K.Axson412
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I am delivering in a hospital. Im just worried about the pain. and failing at it. 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Are you planning a home waterbirth?

It sure is nice to get int The Groove and stick with it.      Changing settings adjusts the hormone's work.      A deeper tub and help (doula?  lol) will be supportive to help remind you of options.

Quoting earthmama727:

Was gonna ask a very similar question! I know with my first, after several hours walking outside, I came in to take a hot shower and I couldn't even feel the contractions under the water. Then we filled our big inflatable tub and I didn't fill it enough cause I thought i'd be in there long enough that it would cool and I'd have to add to it. But labor started progressing so quickly at that point, we emptied it to take it to the hospital with us and my husband ripped the bottom and we had to go the rest of labor without it!   I can say I truley didn't even feel the contractions in the shower. In the tub I felt them, but they were MUCH more tolerable.  Had we filled it the rest of the way and had slightly hotter water I bet it would have been fabulous.   Part of the drawback I think was my positioning. During my labor, I loved standing and hated sitting or laying down in any position, so in the tub i way layingh on my side... Don't know why I didn't think to squat in the tub... I'd been in labor for somet ime at that point. Not hinking clearly I guess...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)