Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have you had lots of false alarms?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM
  • 7 Replies
just wanting to know other expierences. With my first there was no doubt I was in labor and then my water broke and I went in and had him. This time I have had a few false alarms, one time my contractions were so regular my dr actually came to the hospital, but I didnt progress as far as dialating so they sent me home. Last week I had contractions that went consistently from 13min to 6min no matter where I was or what position Im in and were getting stronger and some were pretty painful but then I showered to help with the pain, and they got weaker and after I slept a few hrs they got irregular again. Just so afraid if my water doesnt break at home I wont even know Im really in labor and that its not a false alarm. Have you had any expierence with this? How did you know it was really time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
misskaryn9902
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:51 AM

with my first pregnancy my water broke. My second pregnancy I asked my husband to have sex with me to bring on the labor. He agreed and it worked but it was false labor. He said he would not be trying that again. 3 days later the pain came back and I was in labor this time.

Muslimah4ever
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM
I woke up with my waterbroken and then contractions came. There was no doubt about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:15 AM

With my first dd the only scare was at 32 weeks when I had a stomach virus, got dehydrated so I ended up in l&d for fluids and found out I was contracting.  Fluids stopped them, after that I didn't have any labor scares and was induced at 37w for complications. 

This time?  A few weeks ago I ended up in l&d having contractions every 2-5min.  Since then its been very irregular and they aren't even as strong as they were before.  Hopefully she waits 3 more weeks!

kaves
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I wish I could help more.  With both of my pregnancies I've had preterm labor.  I've always wondered at least with my first pregnancy if I had ignored the painless contractions if they would have gone away eventually.  I was only 32 weeks though and after hours of contractions I went in and they kept me for 24 hours and sent me home on bed rest for two weeks.  I went back to work and worked until I was induced at 38 and some weeks.  Good luck hope you are able to figure it out!  How far along are you?

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Yes, I was "in labor" every night for a couple of weeks...    UHHHG!
   I don't check my dilation and water has breaks weeks-months before labor starts to in labor or even after labor! ;-)

Unfortunately, water breaking does not always go with labor.    It might happen in labor or not, but doesn't tell us (like dilateion!)  when baby will be coming out~~~

So following the frequency & intensity of the contractions may serve as a better guide.

Do you have help?

Just as a woman’s heart knows,

How and when to pump,

Her lungs to inhale,

And her hand to pull back from fire,

So she knows when and how to give birth.

- Virginia Di

ICAN

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Here are links on ways to tell how far along you are in dilation and your stage of labor, using external info (such as fundal height). The two biggest ways to tell are: you cannot talk through/between contractions or the 5-1-1 rule. The 5-1-1 rule states contractions five minutes apart, last a minute a peice, for one hour. If you read the following links, it will help you to determine when you feel comfortable going in. Personally, I am waiting as long as possible, to avoid as many interventions as possible and to reduce my likelihood of having an unneeded c-section.  

http://wonderfullymadebelliesandbabies.blogspot.com/2011/07/dilation-how-to-check-without-checking.html

http://www.midwiferyandmore.com/community/showthread.php?t=29

http://sarahvine.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/how-dilated-am-i-assessing-dilation-without-an-internal-exam/

Larsbug
by Laura on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I had 2 c-sections... so no help here...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured