Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Do you think infertility for older women is exaggerated?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM
  • 16 Replies

Carla Bruni Pregnant at 44 & Infertility Myth Is Revealed!

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on June 29, 2012 

I'm going to get a lot of flack for saying this, but that's okay. I think there is a big infertility myth that goes on with women over 35. Am I saying that older can get pregnant as easily as younger women? No. (Please read that again.) Am I saying that the risks are not higher? No. (Read that again.) What I am saying is that I believe it's easier for women over 35 -- or even 40 -- to get pregnant than they think it is. And now here comes Carla Bruni, France's ex-First Lady and an ex-supermodel, pregnant AGAIN at 44 years old.

Did Carla use fertility drugs or IVF to get pregnant at 44? It's certainly possible -- but I don't think so. Here is why. Carla gave birth to her last child, daughter Giulia, only nine months ago! Plus, it's reported that she suffers from postpartum depression. And since her husband lost the election, she wants to return to her former career as a pop singer.

Additionally, Carla doesn't sound like she enjoyed pregnancy too much. She told French mag Le Parisien:

Quite frankly, I can't stand it anymore. I spend most of my time either sitting down or lying down. I can't smoke or drink anymore. I'm in a hurry to get it over with.

Does this like someone who is so anxious to have another child that she would run to the fertility doc?

Carla's experience is one I see all the time. I know many women who have given birth over 35 and didn't use any drugs to get pregnant. I have one friend who went through several rounds of treatments in her 20s, failed to conceive, and then, at 38, got pregnant naturally. And that isn't an anomoly. I know women who went off birth control when they hit 40 because they thought it would be "impossible" to get knocked up. And boom! They got knocked up. My gyno confirmed for me that she sees women over 35 get pregnant all the time without drugs.

So why would there be an "infertility myth"? Sure, much of it is NOT a myth. Your chances of getting pregnant do decrease with age. But they don't necessarily decrease to zero -- or even decrease to the point where drugs are needed. Let's think about how many millions of dollars the fertility industry makes -- and whether or not it might be to its advantage to perpetuate difficulties beyond what might actually exist.

Do you think infertility for older women is exaggerated?

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcarrube
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM

You may be right.  I was in my 20's with my first 2 pregnancies and conceived both in the first month we tried.  Now at 37 years old I was surprised when it took 8 months of trying to get pregnant.  However, I wouldn't consider 8 months as out of the ordinary for any woman to conceive. 

waitingforbaby5
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Im just 30, yrs, old I cant seem too get pregnant been trying for, five yrs I check ed out fine everything good inside and I have good eggs and all , im gonna get my husband check out,. Too make sure hes ok he been taken zinc , and I take metformin its supost too help with concive and my diabetes with I have plus lupus and, ashima..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's exaggerated. There is only so long you can use hormonal birth control before it takes it toll on your ability to reproduce. Your body was not meant to be manipulated in such a way for decades on end. Just because one doctor has anecdotal evidence that it happens "all the time" doesn't mean much to me. I prefer a more evidence-based look at the issue at hand. And, look at the risk. Women in their 20's and 30's that put off their biological clock take for granted they will just become pregnant at 40 after attaining their career goals, only to have those hopes dashed, because fertility treatments are very expensive and don't always work. 

Ihihana
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:15 AM

im not too sure about this one as im only 23 and preg with my 3rd. But my sister is only 33 and she just cant seem to get pregnant :( my sister and her husband are going through IVF treatments and have been for awhile, but still nothing is working, and all my sister has ever dreamed about is being a mother, and i just feel bad that my pregnancy came at a bad time for her, coz the day that i told her my news, she told me that the dr has said she may not ever be able to conveive as her Husband has found to have pretty much no sperm count :( i feel so sorry for her.

unspecified42
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM
4 moms liked this

So because this random chick got pregnant at 44 we should ignore medical studies?

Heather2001
by Heather on Jul. 3, 2012 at 11:34 AM
3 moms liked this

I think I'm missing the point of this article.  I don't really know of any woman (pre-menopausal) that believes that they couldn't become pregnant, even in their 40s....or later.  Decreased fertility is a reality, infertility just due to age is not.  =\

bebcarroll
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Well, as you age you have fewer viable eggs.  So, does every woman over the age of 35 need IVF to get pregnant? No,. obviously not, but ON AVERAGE it takes women over 35 long (more cycles) to get pregnant and the miscarriage risk also goes up as your stock of eggs goes down.  So carrying to term is also harder as you age.  Also, first time pregnancies after 40 are less likely to happen, fewer eggs, less proven fertility, and again the increased risk of misscarriage.  Though a woman with proven fertility, ie someone who has had children before, should assume fertility until proven otherwise.

Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM

In some cases, yes.

eChard
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's a completely individual scenario. I've seen women in their early 30s have miscarriages, need IVF, have hormonal imbalances, birth defects, etc. I've seen women in their mid 40s have child after child, no complications, etc.... There are exceptions to every rule...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AriMommy
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I agree with this.  I suffered multiple miscarriages in my early 20s and gave up on the idea of children.  Had one oops(forgot condom while tipsy) at age 27 and conceived my daughter, which was an easy pregnancy.  Fast forward almost 5 years, DH and I decide to try for one more and it took 6 months(I'm 33). So it was harder to get pregnant after 30, but I haven't had any miscarriages since my early 20s and both my pregnancies at a slightly older age have been healthy and free of complications.

Quoting eChard:

I think it's a completely individual scenario. I've seen women in their early 30s have miscarriages, need IVF, have hormonal imbalances, birth defects, etc. I've seen women in their mid 40s have child after child, no complications, etc.... There are exceptions to every rule...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)