Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Victoria's Secret Model on Having a Natural Birth: "I didn't want to drug my baby.".

Posted by   + Show Post

In a new interview, model Miranda Kerr says she avoided an epidural in large part because she didn't want the drugs to affect her baby after delivery:

Quote:

“I had made a decision that I wanted to do it [naturally],” the Victoria’s Secret Angel, 29, says in the August issue of Harper’s BAZAAR UK.

“I had been watching all these baby bonding videos and [without an epidural], when the baby comes out it goes straight onto the breast.”

According to Kerr, those babies exposed to the epidurals were not as responsive, one of the main factors in her decision to go drug-free.

Do you agree with her? Is this something you've thought about for your own birth plan?

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM
Replies (91-100):
raegan1221
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I don't agree with her for my own personal decision...I had an epidural and ds did just fine. 

nigoleta
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Quoting halliebug:

I had an Epi put in at 8 cm, and less than 10 minutes later my daughter was born, who nursed like a champ at 7 minutes old. Idk if my experience was because it was so fast though?

Thinking back, my other babies were really sleepy and I had earlier epis with them

I had a similar experience. Got an epi with my first when I was 3cm and he was born about 2.5 hours later. He was very sleepy and breastfeeding was a challenge from the get go. With my 2nd, I planned to go natural, but at 9.5 cm I was in such severe pain that I was tensing up and it was counter productive. I got the epi and the baby wa born about 1/2 hour later. He took to bf'ing much more easily and was not nearly as sleepy. I don't regret getting the epi either time, but if I were to have another child (VERY unlikely!), I'd put it off as long as I could.

Armymom134
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I had an epidural with my first 3 children and they ate just fine after being born, with my son he was born via c-section due to medical problems, I had a spinal block done and he wouldn't nurse for the first day at all.

Aspirel
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I was induced with all four of mine with pictocin cause of a weak cervix. The pain was unreal for my first one since they did not have the epi ready when they started the pit.I was curled up in a ball,I could not move the pain was just crazy.I'll never forget that horrible pain and the stupid nurse who wanted me to walk...Yeah let me get up and walk as I lay in the fetal position holding on to the side of the bed for dear life screaming my head off...

justinnaimee
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I've heard that too. I've seen videos. I had epidurals with both of my kids and they acted the same way as those videos. They both had wide, alert eyes. They both nursed well and rooted at my breast. 

militarywife09
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Lol! I had an epi both times and both times my baby came straight to me. I love how uneducated people are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ballad
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Ya can't always get what ya want!

Ya can't always get what ya want!

But if ya try sometimes

Ya just might find

Ya get what ya need!

Most women would go for the natural way if they could.  I wanted that, but I ended up with an urgent C-section once I started pushing and my baby got stuck in the birth canal.  But you bet I got what I needed, which was a healthy baby girl.  What else matters?  Women who deliver without drugs often seem to strut around acting like they're somehow a cut above because of how they gave birth, but by the time their babies are a few days or a week old, it's neither here nor their if they were delivered without drugs or not.

Tennismom360
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I had a home birth with my third and c-section and a medicated vaginal with my two older daughters.  I made a conscious decision to brith with out drugs.  

Lynette
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hypnobirthing and Hypnobabies are actually different programs.  Very similar, but there is more prep for hypnobabies.  I did the home study course because it was cheaper.  It was VERY effective w/ my regular labor DD.  Intense but not overly painful at all.  I kept wondering what transition was going to feel like, when I started feeling the urge to push.  Got checked and I was at 10, ready to push.  With my DS it was very effective for most of it, but he was backlabor.  So at a certain point very little helped.  My 2 non-drug, non EPI births were both waterbirthsw/ no tearing.  I recomend Hypnobabies to everyone, it was worth every penny.  I also preferred how it felt compared to the numb/paralyzed feeling of the EPI.

Quoting 3rd2bedue:

Hi there, what was the hypno birthing like?? What are the classes like, i was interested in doing some is why i ask! ^_^ Anything to help i suppose! ^_^ 

Quoting Lynette:

well she is right.  there is an effect on baby.  I had 2 of mine with EPI's and 2 of mine all natural.  There is a difference in baby.  But know I did need a way to manage the contractions and for that I did Hypnobabies, it was wonderful.  Lamaze though is a crock, I tried that 2x, hence the 2 EPI births.

EmmaGlenn20
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this

It's nice to have another article to make me feel guilty about having epidurals.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)