Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I AM HORRIFIED!!!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 61 Replies

I AM HAVING A BOY AND I ASKED MY NURSE A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT CIRCUMSISING.

ONE WAS WOULD THEY GIVE MY SON LOCAL ANESTHETIC SO HE DIDNT FEEL ANYTHING? AND SHE SAID NO!!!!!!

MY HOSPITAL DOES NOT ALLOW LOCAL ANESTHETIC FOR THAT!!! EVEN IF YOU ASK!!!

THIS IS HORRIBLE!

MY CHILD IS NOT AN ANIMAL!  :(   SO SAD.

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purvislets
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:54 PM

One of the many reasons many women choose not to circ.  Each hospital has different policies and procedures, so anyone who is pregnant with a boy should talk to their doctor and the hospital where they will be delivering.  My hospital does use the local anesthetic, but I know a few of the other local hospitals that do not.

Mommy2b2324
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
They tried that deal with my oldest son before refusing to do it for.other.reasons. I demanded they give him Tylenol and a numbing agent before I allowed the doc.to.touch him. stand your ground, and don't let them touch him if they don't respect your wishes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommeeTo4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Read the book

The Truth about Circumscison
Circumcision exposed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pandapanda
by Cafe Panda on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Our pediatreician did our son's circumcision, I suggest you get a pedi who does it if you want it done. 

She gave a small shot of lidocane at the base of his penis, applied a topical pain relief gel/cream, and then did his circumcision. He didn't even cry, and was completely content the rest of the week while it healed. I didn't want it done though, but I was bullied into it by my inlaws (who were nurses in the 50s, so they dwell on old outdated information) and my husband had the final say... so I didn't change a single diaper the whole week it was healing up. :)

yellownes8
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Interesting...I never even asked if they gave an anesthetic where I delivered. I thought that was basic protocol. I wonder if my son got it? They brought him back to me right after it was done and he wasn't even crying so I'm assuming he got it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alauck
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM
2 moms liked this

it was pretty awful, i didn't go with my 1st, but i went with my 2nd, and they even had this little seat that they put him in and strapped his legs down. i felt so bad for him, but i knew he wouldn't remember it, and in my opinion i think i am doing the right thing.

babynurse244
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I've worked at a few different hospitals Some give anesthesia, some don't. Supposedly the baby doesn't "feel" pain. Yeah, right. I've helped on circs, that's the closest I've come to passing out during a procedure. We didn't circ my son.

BiPolarMomto3
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
They usually don't do locals. I will never forget when Hawk was born the sight of this poor baby in the nursery with him.... My boys are NOT and that is a choice they will have the right to make when they get older
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3rd2bedue
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Just curious at what age you expect for them to be able to make that choice.... Do you see it as cosmetic? Im debating letting my third son be circumcised is why i ask (he is still a bun in the oven atm!) ^_^ 

Quoting BiPolarMomto3:

They usually don't do locals. I will never forget when Hawk was born the sight of this poor baby in the nursery with him.... My boys are NOT and that is a choice they will have the right to make when they get older

christineT79
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Call around pediatricians & urologists & ask if they use topical anesthetics. They can do it after you are home from the hospital. Thank god I'm having a girl because I would be so worried about the same thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured