Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I AM HAVING A BOY AND I ASKED MY NURSE A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT CIRCUMSISING.

ONE WAS WOULD THEY GIVE MY SON LOCAL ANESTHETIC SO HE DIDNT FEEL ANYTHING? AND SHE SAID NO!!!!!!

MY HOSPITAL DOES NOT ALLOW LOCAL ANESTHETIC FOR THAT!!! EVEN IF YOU ASK!!!

THIS IS HORRIBLE!

MY CHILD IS NOT AN ANIMAL!  :(   SO SAD.

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Replies (21-30):
OurSweetLilLife
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:31 AM
My DS was done at 6 months old due to surgery he needed. He was under though so just a bit of discomfort after. Probably worse than having it done right away because he was more aware of things. Didn't have a choice though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
devinsmom42
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Like a pp said, watch a video! Go to YouTube, there are thousands. If I would've done this before my poor newborn had his, I never In a million yrs would've done it :(. Yea right they don't feel it! That's why they scream their heads off until they can't cry anymore. I'm not trying to convince you otherwise but please watch the video and see if that's what you want your baby to go thru :/. I regret having it done on my first son and any future boys will NOT have it done!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmyson87
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Well maybe they dont want to give anesthetic to babies that young, but if that's not the case, it does seem mean!

TurtleMomma82
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I didn't realize that either!  DS seemed fine afterwards and healed just fine, so I didn't think anything of it.  Now I know they don't give them anything (usually, some places do but not many).  I won't be circing this one if it's a boy- plus our insurance won't pay for it anymore anyway, they now consider it elective and cosmetic.

katzmeow726
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

You can always do it after you are released from hospital.  Call around and find a place that uses local.  We were lucky that ours did as well...they gave DS local, and a binky with some glucose solution.

he slept through the entire thing LOL 

betsy9023
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM
This is why I asked my ob how they do it here and the do use anesthetic and tylenol after so I decided to have it done. I wouldn't do it if they didn't do it that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot of places don't. People don't realize that.

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Quoting babynurse244:

I've worked at a few different hospitals Some give anesthesia, some don't. Supposedly the baby doesn't "feel" pain. Yeah, right. I've helped on circs, that's the closest I've come to passing out during a procedure. We didn't circ my son.

I wonder why anyone would say a baby doesn't feel pain.

:-(

There are a LOT of nerve endings right there & other important things~  

MrsRobinson06
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I'm so glad our hospital does it. That was the first thing I asked and luckily they do use it.

BiPolarMomto3
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. When they cut them they are slicing through major nerve endings that can and DOES affect their sensitivity to things.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting babynurse244:

I've worked at a few different hospitals Some give anesthesia, some don't. Supposedly the baby doesn't "feel" pain. Yeah, right. I've helped on circs, that's the closest I've come to passing out during a procedure. We didn't circ my son.

I wonder why anyone would say a baby doesn't feel pain.

:-(

There are a LOT of nerve endings right there & other important things~  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)