Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I AM HAVING A BOY AND I ASKED MY NURSE A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT CIRCUMSISING.

ONE WAS WOULD THEY GIVE MY SON LOCAL ANESTHETIC SO HE DIDNT FEEL ANYTHING? AND SHE SAID NO!!!!!!

MY HOSPITAL DOES NOT ALLOW LOCAL ANESTHETIC FOR THAT!!! EVEN IF YOU ASK!!!

THIS IS HORRIBLE!

MY CHILD IS NOT AN ANIMAL!  :(   SO SAD.

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Replies (31-40):
mama2my2boys
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
i got both my boys done....they didnt numb them they just did it...after i gave tylenol but they werent more fussy etc...and were all heald up less then a week after
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Sheila
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I never asked the doctor that question, but everything went smoothly and he healed well. I was planning to wait until he was 8 days old, but my OB doesn't do them at her office and she said that we would have to find a pediatrician who did and I ran out of time.

tginn20
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

At least it's over fast- w/ my nephews, my sister elected to have a small rubber band placed on the penis. It cut off circulation to the foreskin until it died and fell off w/ the rubber band.

She thought it sounded better than them getting it snipped off....I would prefer to get it snipped. It's quick and over with quickly.

mommy2lexinmark
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM
They numbed my older son in the hospital ans the urologist numbed my younger son.....both turned out good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlissBagshaw
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM

They only gave my son Tylenol and he was fine.

MeggieLee22
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I wouldn't let them do it w/o an anaesthetic.  Find someone who WILL give the anaethetic if you choose to do it.

If I had a boy, I would get it done. 

It reduces the risk of all sorts of infections, not just UTI, but also yeast infections and reduces the chances that they will carry STDs.

New studies on this have been done in countries where HIV is a huge issue still and while it is obviously not a replacement for safe sex procedures it was found to reduce the risks by something like up to 50%.  Now this is an early study and not from a huge selection group so the numbers may be off.  However the evidence was enough that the AMA was going to release a new statement on this benefit of circ.

It also reduces the risk of penile cancer but that is such an astronomically rare thing that I wouldn't use it as a reason.

Some men have issues with the foreskin not retracting properly as they get older and have to have the procedure done anyways.  When asked they reported no difference in feeling/sensitivity after circumcision.  Also my DH is circumcized and he enjoys sex plenty so I wouldn't use that as an excuse NOT to either.

In the end it is a personal choice and you should do what you think is best

I just thought I would provide some pro-circ facts, since everyone is always so eager to say how BAD it is and throw around words like intact and mutilation designed to shock you.  Go watch the video of the procedure AMG.  Yea, go watch a c-section I'm sure it would disturb you just as much but I've had 2 (going to have my third in Oct)...because it's scary does that make it bad?

egrzesik91
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Then don't do it?

ANNETTELYNN
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM

i have thought about not doing it. but i researched that it would be more work to clean and to take care of, if i dont have it done. and i also read that it would cause more problems and infections when he gets older.

Quoting yeehawmama3:

have you thought about not circ? there are no medical benefits. i dont want to get in a debate but research it yourself and go with your gut,

llheet8586
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM
My dads ex gf's son wasn't circumcised and he had to get it done when he was like 12 or 13 because he kept getting bad infections. I'm sure it's rare, but what I saw his mother go through and him was BAD. I remember one time after his surgery, his mom came out of the bedroom fell to the floor and was crying because it wouldn't stop bleeding. I got my boys circumcised and that was one of the reasons I did. I never looked into it and my husband is also circumcised so he wanted the boys to be too. I do have to say the f'ed up with my youngest son and left too much skin (he was a chubby 10 lb baby) and it started to grow back in to the head of his penis. His penis hole is also scarred and like half closed so when he pees it has a lot of force and gets everywhere. He is 3.5 now and will be getting just his hole fixed, not the extra skin... It will hopefully retract on it's own as if he weren't circumcised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yeehawmama3
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting ANNETTELYNN:

its actually easier to clean because you don' t retract it. You clean it just like a finger! Also the infection thing isn't true.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured