Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Water birth experience

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM
  • 15 Replies
I would love to hear your water birth experiences. I am planning a water birth at a birthing center in March. This will be my 4th baby but my first water birth. Did the water give you much pain relief? When did you get in the water? Bests positions while in tub? Thanks ladies!
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Never had one but would love to with this one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KimmisMom
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM
I'm interested too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rosiecheeks309
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM
Never had one but wish i could have (no center close to me) ik with each of my labors i was in the tub at least twice and it helped alot. Good luck to you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM

My children were born under water.   :-D
   It was really awesome, I loved the experiences!

Yes, water gives a lot of relief, absolutely.    There are many benefits...
I have gotten into the water only minutes before delivering and hours before (up to 5 hours).
Best positions are upright/leaning forward, just like when out of the water.    (worst is reclining)     But you'll be able to move & switch positions easily in the water, which is important (in/out of water) to help baby descend.

Glad to hear you are planning this, it's wonderful!!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Quoting Rosiecheeks309:

Never had one but wish i could have (no center close to me) ik with each of my labors i was in the tub at least twice and it helped alot. Good luck to you!

You can have a water birth at home~   even easier!
:-)

Rosiecheeks309
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Theres no way! All 3 of my labors were too close to a c-sectione.

Quoting doulala:

Quoting Rosiecheeks309:

You can have a water birth at home~   even easier!
:-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Emerald Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Generally, depending on who we hire to attend our care, there may be only a slim chance for that in the future.   
If you would go to a birth center then it's the same as home (only with driving in labor, uhgh.   lol).
What complications did you have?   Are you working to avoid these in the future?

Quoting Rosiecheeks309:

Theres no way! All 3 of my labors were too close to a c-sectione. 

Heather2001
by Heather on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I've used water for pain relief, but never actually gave birth while in the water.  It worked great to relieve labor pain, though!

ekh2010
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

what is the temperature of the water in the tub? i've read 90-100 degrees. trying to convince my husband this is what i want, but he's stuck on the temperature part...:/ tia

Quoting doulala:

My children were born under water.   :-D
   It was really awesome, I loved the experiences!

Yes, water gives a lot of relief, absolutely.    There are many benefits...
I have gotten into the water only minutes before delivering and hours before (up to 5 hours).
Best positions are upright/leaning forward, just like when out of the water.    (worst is reclining)     But you'll be able to move & switch positions easily in the water, which is important (in/out of water) to help baby descend.

Glad to hear you are planning this, it's wonderful!!

doulala
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ekh2010:

what is the temperature of the water in the tub? i've read 90-100 degrees. trying to convince my husband this is what i want, but he's stuck on the temperature part...:/ tia

Quoting doulala:

Whatever concerns anyone, it is so good to get the info and sort through it so everyone can move on...    If he has any concerns (same with you), please get some info and discover whatever you need to feel comfortable, confident, and prepared.

;-)

Hope this helps:

What is the temperature of the water?
Water should be monitored at a temperature that is comfortable for the mother, usually between 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit. Water temperature should not exceed 101 degrees Fahrenheit as it could lead to an increase in the mother's body temperature which could cause the baby's heart rate to increase. It is a good idea to have plenty of water to drink and cold cloths for the mother's face and neck. A cool facial mist from a spray bottle is a welcome relief for some mothers as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)