Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

mamas with potty trained kiddos!! (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

My son turned 3 in March, he is too big for diapers anymore, I don't really want to buy pull-ups because they are ridiculous in price but he just isn't ready to potty train. We keepo trying every other week (do it for a full week and he has at least 7-8 accidents so I know he isn't ready) but diapers don't fit anymore...any ideas? we have tried everything every book says to do... rewards, praise, dancing after he goes, setting the timer, picking out underwear, among many other things...

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Replies (41-50):
beadingmom17
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Have you had him sitting down or standing? My mom had a hell of a time with my brother...he could do it, just didn't want to! He finally got into it when she let him go behind the garage, lmao!

I've heard all kinds of tricks for boys...fruit loops or cheerios to aim at or a squirt of dish soap so it makes bubbles :) But it might just be that he wakes up one day and does it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meli55aG2001
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM
I only have daughters but my oldest was easy to train. She was 39 months when she got trained. We took away her pull ups and told her all we had were undies. She peed in them and didn't like the feeling. The next time she had to go, she went in her potty. We did use sticker charts for the first month or so. We also treated her with small toys at the end of each week. After a month, we just gave her a lot of praise.

You may need to keep trying for more than one week. Keep doing everything that you're doing. I'm guessing you're pregnant since you posted in the pregnancy group. If you are, your son may regress after the baby is born. I personally haven't experienced this but it is something that I've read. If your son ends up not being ready, don't sweat it. He will get it eventually. Good luck!

And my second daughter has special needs so she isn't potty trained and is no where near that stage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:48 AM

My kiddos are smaller so we had no issue with diaper size, but we just went with his ques.  He turned 3 in October and we started potty training during vacation the last week in May.  When we flew home the first week in June, he was only wearing diapers at night.  We now do no diapers at night and have only had a few accidents.  I lay a puppy pad under his sheet for those times.

Kenzismommy09
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:55 AM
Why do you think he is not old enough to potty train yet?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I live in Poland and here kids are just potty trained earlier. My pedi advised me to get a potty chair when DS was around 9 months. NOT to train him, but just to get him to sit on it without a diaper and get the feel of it. When I started doing it, my friends in the US thought I was crazy. How could I do it to my child? Didnt I realize I was pushing him? Well, at 2 years old we actively started training him. I stayed home with him for 10 days straight. He was diaperless. I would set the timer for every 45 minutes. Then I would take him to the potty. If he didnt have to go at that point, I would set the timer for 30 minutes, do the same thing. Then 20 minutes, do the same thing. Then 10 minutes, do the same thing. It would either result in an accident or him going to the potty. It was grueling for me, fun for him, (who dosent want to be half naked all the time? AND he got all the juice he could handle) and within 7 days, he had his brain and bladder in check. By 10 days, he was able to wear big boy undies in public and not have many accidents. (maybe 5 total in his whole little life) He stopped wearing diapers at night when he was 2.5 years old. My son was fully PT by 2.5 years old I believe because of consistency and starting him very early. OP, why do you say you know he's not ready? What signs is he giving you in that way? I think it would be a good idea for you all to just do it, for more than a week and get it done. Good luck!

MrsNicolae
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Waiting until your child is "ready" is a newer trend introduced by dr brazleton who happens to be endorced by pampers. the average for potty learning used to be 18mo and is still closer to that in many other country's. But it requires a fare amount of work on both sides parent and child keeping things consistent and fun. I find that over two kids become more about asserting themselves and less eager to please which can make it more of a power struggle. I highly reccomend something cloth so your son can become familiar with wet vs dry. Disposables do such a good job that it makes it harder for kids to potty learn. And I agree that once you decide your both up for the challenge stick with it do he knows that this is the new routine and what is expected of him. Never shame, or criticize keep it up beat and positive. Don't give a lot of attention for accidents instead look at them as an opportunity for him to learn. Focus on the successes a day, not the accidents. Give choices standing, sitting, big potty little potty and so on. Talk about all the people he knows or looks up to that use the potty:)

I've potty trained all three of mine and couple of children I took care of and it's not been an overnight thing with most of them. It takes time to create new habits and routines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NewMom333
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:54 AM
All the ladies gave great advice so far. Just try not to stress about it, if it happens then that's wonderful but if not then oh well. My Son wasn't potty trained until e was 3 and the best thing that worked was letting him run around half naked and letting him pee outside if he wanted to. He is 4 and still likes to pee outside some times but he was fully potty trained in no time. Now getting him to wipe his butt is a whole other story.. Lol. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melroseb1230
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:52 AM

what worked for us was having my almost 3 yr old "throw away" ALL of his diapers so he knew they weren't an option anymore.  Up until that point he would have a fit if I tried to get him to sit on the potty more than twice a day. I read a book that suggested this would work so I tried it.  The first week he had accidents everday. The second week got less by the 3rd week he was fully potty trained,even getting up in the middle of the night to go on his own.  But I never put him in a diaper again after we threw them out. I told him he was a big boy now and he got to wear underwear everyday instead of diapers.  the next week he was standing up to pee like daddy, we haven't had any issues since. and also like some of the other mommys for the first week I would set a timer and have him try every 20 mins for a while.

AaLeon
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Try the padded undies.
SaltwaterTaffi
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Don't sweat other people's opinions. You are the one who lives with the choices you make for YOUR children. Each child is so different. If you don't think he is ready, then the on and off is confusing for him. Consistency really is key. So if this is not the right time for you, then i suggest when you notice him going to talk about it. Example: "You are peeing/pooping in your diaper. When you are ready, we can try on the potty." This way he learns the action and when you are ready to work consistently with him he will know exactly the action he is supposed to take when you sit him on the potty because you can tell him that it's time to pee/poop and he'll be familiar with the terms and actions associated. My first was the hardest to train. But he was older also. I actually made a sticker chart in the bathromm and let him watch me go. Then I asked him to pick out a sticker for me. After the 3rd time, when he picked his next favorite, I said we would save that one for when he went. I also bought a bag of dum dums as I was not above bribery. I also suggest keeping favorite books in the bathroom that they can only look at when they sit on the potty. That way it's not so torturous. And police thier liquids. Only give them liquid at a certain time. Dont let them walk around with a drink. Hope it works out well for you. My 2nd was a cinch but I started her quite early before the independence kicks in and they still enjoy doing things to hear you whoop and cheer :) I am now training my youngest. i can only hope she takes it as easy on me because the first gave me a run :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)