Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Breastfeeding question!

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
  • 24 Replies
I'm 32 weeks with my first and plan on breastfeeding her as long as possible!

I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be doing to "prepare" for breastfeeding? I know that might sound like a stupid question lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Nope. As long as your nipples aren't inverted you are as ready as you need to be. Get a boppy and a comfy chair.

I suggest reading the book 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding'. It was very helpful.

Santina25
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Thanks! I have a boppy and a my breastfriend...lol couldn't decide between the 2!
I will find that book :)

Quoting mem82:

Nope. As long as your nipples aren't inverted you are as ready as you need to be. Get a boppy and a comfy chair.

I suggest reading the book 'The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding'. It was very helpful.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Innocencedreams
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Make sure you educate yourself, have a comfy place to nurse, some lanolin cream to put on your nipples, a pump if you plan to pump, and for me, a nursing pillow was awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Now would be the time to make a list of all the reasons you want to breastfeed. Stick a copy next to your bed and on the fridge and on the bathroom mirror. The first 3 weeks, you'll need the reminder. LOL

Also, if you are dead set on it, you need to get your husband and mom and sisters and brothers etc. all on board and trained not to offer you a bottle of formula during a weak moment. LOL I only gave bottles during the first 2 months when I was out of the house. 

doulala
by Emerald Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

NOT stupid:   wise!!

Yes, preparation is very helpful--   You can start getting your resources and support ready.     Do you go to la Leche meetings already?    or have a good group you can call on?

nautired
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Great advice here I second it. :)

Quoting mem82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabbie-kat
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

some docs or consultants say to rub your nipples with the towel after a shower to roughen them up. but some say that its not necessary. I would just make sure you have everything you need for help with breastfeeding. like nursing bra and tops, nursing pads. maybe some lansinoh nipple cream for help with soreness. i would suggest a pump if you want to use one every now and then. some like them to just use in case they are going somewere and leaving baby with someone for a lil bit so that you can store the milk, also if you decide you are going to pump sometimes you will need storage bags made for breastmilk. there are groups on here that could help to get you prepared too, and help you for after baby comes in case you have problems with latching or any other questions.

Santina25
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Ok, great :) I already read a few books which seemed helpful!and I got cream and pillows

Quoting Innocencedreams:

No. Make sure you educate yourself, have a comfy place to nurse, some lanolin cream to put on your nipples, a pump if you plan to pump, and for me, a nursing pillow was awesome.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Santina25
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Lol ok a list, will do :)

Dh is on board and my sisters is too! I told everyone I don't want bottles and formula near me at all!

Quoting mem82:

Now would be the time to make a list of all the reasons you want to breastfeed. Stick a copy next to your bed and on the fridge and on the bathroom mirror. The first 3 weeks, you'll need the reminder. LOL

Also, if you are dead set on it, you need to get your husband and mom and sisters and brothers etc. all on board and trained not to offer you a bottle of formula during a weak moment. LOL I only gave bottles during the first 2 months when I was out of the house. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Santina25
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a lactation consultant and a breastfeeding support group which meets once a week! Dh is on board and ready to support me in every way possible :) I'm just a little nervous that something won't work!

Quoting doulala:

NOT stupid:   wise!!

Yes, preparation is very helpful--   You can start getting your resources and support ready.     Do you go to la Leche meetings already?    or have a good group you can call on?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)