Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

First Baby.... Got A Few Questions!!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello my name is Lacy, I'm 39 weeks and 3 days pregnant and this is my first baby, my fiance's 2nd but he was never told that his other little girl was born, but he was told her mom was pregnant with her. And well I got a few questions about contractions. What do contractions feel like?? I get told it's tightening in the stomach, I have that.... Just it's not frequent! And I always think it's just my little girl moving around, but it hurts so bad that sometimes i cant move, and it's hard to breath. And I wake up frequently in the middle of the night cause it hurts so bad. And my legs feel sore. It feels like I'm being forced to do splits, and it hurts really bad. I just dont know if I'm having real contractions or false contractions.

by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Early labor contractiOns aren't neccisarily painful, no. I don't associate menstral cramps with pain either, it's just a comparable feeling. For me it's an dull achy feeling. It usually takes me about 15 minutes to realize its the real thing :). I've done it 5 times. Menstral cramps and early contractions feel alot alike. Now active labor contractiOns are another matter! Those things are a force of nature :)

Quoting JAIRATRACI:

That really depends on your pain tolerance and also if it is early labor contractions or active labor contractions. Early labor ones aren't always painful. With my second son I went home from my doctors having contractions every 10 minutes or so that weren't painful.

Quoting norahsmommy:

Real contractions feel like the worst menstral cramps of your life, then they progressively get worse. Sometimes the pain wraps around to your lower back.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bchic24
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

It varies depending on the person. I went in to be induced and when I was checked I had already dialated to 5 cm. The nurse was putting the heart monitor and stuff on my tummy and then stopped and said, "Do you feel that?" and I was like "feel what?" She then told me I was having a contraction and when she looked at it on the screen apparently it was a pretty strong one! The only way I knew I was having a contraction was if I poked my tummy and it felt like a rock! The most pain I got in labor was a few mild period like cramps.

False contractions are very common and if your contractions aren't consistant then it's probably braxton hicks! But if you're really worried then go to your doctor. When I was having a lot of braxton hicks my doc just hooked me up to monitor for an hour and even though they got really close together they weren't strong enough to do anything! He ended up sending me home and told me to drink a lot of water and then put me on modified bedrest, but you're far enough along they won't do that. GL

butterflycircle
by on Aug. 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Real contractions will get more intense and become regular. when they get to be every 5mins apart for an hour you should go to the hospital. Fake contractions will go away by walk around our resting and they will not become regular (like every 5 mins or every 10 mins they might be 5 mins then 3 mins then 8 mins). You can have regular contractions and then they stop. It is just your body getting ready.  When I was pregnant with my last baby I have pains in my lower belly and my up legs and inner thighs I think it was round ligament pains or soemthing it was painful when I moved at all and I had to put pillows every where just to sleep. 

Catalano2011
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM

To All Of You Ladies That Posted On My Post, Thank You All For Your Help. I Had My Daughter On August 19th 2012. She Is The Best Baby Ever. Lol I Love Her So Much! She Is Getting Sooooo Big, Soooo Quick. I Really Appreciate You All Helping Me!!

Nynnie
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Contractions are the very worst cramps u will ever feel. Like period cramps times 30! Good luck, very exciting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Catalano2011
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I Already Had My Baby. Lol

LyndollyCarlos
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM
With my son i never had not one pain in my belly my hole labor was in my back and my legs felt like they were going to fall off
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lyndle
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM
May I ask how old you are?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kelly617
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

All I can say is what everyone told me
When its real you will know....
I know that sucks...and I hated to hear that when I was pregnant with my first...but once I was in REAL labor I was like "OHHH okay now I get it"
Contractions can be different for everyone...some ladies have back contractions like a lower back ache
Some have only front contractions (tummy gets hard as a rock)
Some ladies have it radiating down their legs

The way my doctor explained braxton hicks made a lot of sense to me. BH contractions are like a jog....and labor contractions are a sprint. They are both running, just one is way more intense.
BH contractions are exactly like "real" contractions, they can hurt. The only diff is that BH aren't dilated you and moving the baby down.

oh....one pretty big sign of labor is getting diarrhea..I know gross...but seriously...something about the hormones that your body puts out when labor starts. So if that happens...you can probably bet that labor is on the way

Catalano2011
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I am 19.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN