Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PPD

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM
  • 28 Replies

What do you as a mother yourself think about others who suffer from PPD? If you did not suffer from PDD do you know a friend who has, and have you tried to understand or support them? Do you feel they are crazy?  What do you think PPD is??

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pacificamom
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM
I think it's horrible, scary and real-i've never had it but had non-pregnancy related depression in the past that scared me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clasater
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Ppd is like a living hell and my heart breaks for any mother who has to deal with it. I have dealt with it and i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Campfield
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
I had terrible ppd with my son and a so at the time who didn't understand. Once I was able learn I needed help I was put on medication. It was a living hell that I would.not wish any mother.

My dh now is very aware of the possibility and knows the signs of depression so if it happens again I am likely to seek help sooner.

The worst part the first time was being made to feel like I was irrational for having the feelings and acting the way I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NorCalMom09
by Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:28 AM

I had PPD after my daugher. My DH who and I were seperated back then (it was before we got married) and I was alone with my daughter 6 nights out of the week usually. I already suffered from depression before/during my pregnancy and it got really bad until she was about 4 or 5 months old. You do not feel in control of your emotions and you also feel guilt for being so unhappy with a beautiful baby around. At times I did feel crazy. It never got to the point that I did anything harsh but I can understand how moms with more severe depression/situation could.... not that it is ok, but I can see how it can happen and it is VERY real. Having a therapist or someone to talk to would have been the best thing for me but like many but crappy insurance didnt afford me that luxery. I still suffer with depressin at times but it's much more under control than it's ever been.

JasonsMom2007
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 1:30 AM
I think its a really difficult time for those who go through it. I commend them for getting help and believe its outside of their control.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM
This. I had ppd with my first and it was horrible. I was put on Zoloft and had twice a week therapy sessions for almost his entire first year of life. I don't remember when he started to crawl, couldn't tell you how old he was when he held his bottle for the first time, and I feel kinda cheated from his "firsts". Any mom going through ppd makes me want to cry because I think back to how I was and I wouldn't wish that on the worst person in the world.

Quoting clasater:

Ppd is like a living hell and my heart breaks for any mother who has to deal with it. I have dealt with it and i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraSnider
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM
I had it and got though it with breast feeding. I think mine was because the father of dd didnt act like she was even made
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSince2005
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:16 AM
Idk if I have ever suffered from ppd. But I do know after having my babies, I'm very emotional and cry a lot for like 3 days afterwards. I'm guessing that's due to the sudden hormone change. Is that ppd or normal for every body?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 6:07 AM
I would say that's normal. I would be driving to work and think to myself that everything would be better if I just wrapped my car around a tree, I didn't care if I showered or got dressed for that day. When my DS would cry I wanted to chuck him across the room or shake the crap out of him. It wasn't pretty.

Quoting MamaSince2005:

Idk if I have ever suffered from ppd. But I do know after having my babies, I'm very emotional and cry a lot for like 3 days afterwards. I'm guessing that's due to the sudden hormone change. Is that ppd or normal for every body?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSince2005
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Oh that's scary. I've been that way before but it wasn't because of ppd.

Quoting shortyali:

I would say that's normal. I would be driving to work and think to myself that everything would be better if I just wrapped my car around a tree, I didn't care if I showered or got dressed for that day. When my DS would cry I wanted to chuck him across the room or shake the crap out of him. It wasn't pretty.

Quoting MamaSince2005:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured