Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

stripping membranes ?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 6:55 AM
  • 15 Replies
My next appointment I will be 37 weeks and 3 days.. is that too early to ask to have my membranes stripped? I'm kind of freaking out because I've had my cervix checked only once at 34 weeks and I was only a 1 and 50 percent effaced.. I'm getting induced at 38 weeks because of medical reasons and I just want to make sure things are moving along at that point and I feel if they strip the membranes it might help??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orangeshirt
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:02 AM
Yes, far too early. No methods of induction should be attempted until full-term, but I would go further by saying they shouldn't ever be used unless medically indicated. My midwife did this to me without my knowledge or consent when I was only 37 weeks, causing me to have a preterm baby. They also artificially broke my water so that active labor would start and they wouldn't feel the need to transfer (a very intervention-friendly birth center, which I didn't know until it was too late). Anyhow...trying to induce too early can lead to having a baby who is not yet mature enough physically. It also sets the tone for your labor and opens you up for other interventions.

Your due date is an estimate and can be off by as much as two weeks. Which means you would potentially be stripping membranes at 35 weeks, not 37. I've heard many women complain about the excruciating pain they experienced from it, too. Mine was relatively painful, and I wasn't expecting it, so that made it even harder to deal with.
chubbybabys
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM

My Thoughts are if they are going to induce in a couple of days after that anyways, then why not.  I don't think it would make much difference at this point.

bellaamore
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't do that.

My ob did that without my permission at 40 wks 1 day. It was painful and stressful.

I had a completely healthy ten pound baby a little over two weeks later. It is really unnecessary- your body won't just consume the baby, lol. It'll eventually come out without your input. When good and ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM
In those last few weeks, every day makes a huge difference. The baby is putting on necessary weight and going through final lung development, both of which are essential for thriving outside the womb.
Quoting chubbybabys:

My Thoughts are if they are going to induce in a couple of days after that anyways, then why not.  I don't think it would make much difference at this point.

pinkmommy3
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:01 AM
I did indicate I have to be induced for medical reasons.. my daughter was induced for the same reasons at 37 weeks and was 100 percent healthy.. I'm. I went into labor on my own with my first and ended up with blood clots in my lungs, baby was stressed and was in the nicu because of meconium... my body couldn't handle it.. they've induced my last two with no complications to me or baby.. all I was wondering was if stripping the membranes would help the process and if the few days early would make a difference. Baby is measuring over 8lbs and again.. my last one was induced even earlier and was perfect.. my body does much better with the induction than when I went into labor on my own
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM
If your being inducted a few days later I would much rather do that with a chance of it starting labor then having to take meds to do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2gg
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM
She is being induced 4 days later anyway so doing this would be safer then meds

Quoting orangeshirt:

Yes, far too early. No methods of induction should be attempted until full-term, but I would go further by saying they shouldn't ever be used unless medically indicated. My midwife did this to me without my knowledge or consent when I was only 37 weeks, causing me to have a preterm baby. They also artificially broke my water so that active labor would start and they wouldn't feel the need to transfer (a very intervention-friendly birth center, which I didn't know until it was too late). Anyhow...trying to induce too early can lead to having a baby who is not yet mature enough physically. It also sets the tone for your labor and opens you up for other interventions.

Your due date is an estimate and can be off by as much as two weeks. Which means you would potentially be stripping membranes at 35 weeks, not 37. I've heard many women complain about the excruciating pain they experienced from it, too. Mine was relatively painful, and I wasn't expecting it, so that made it even harder to deal with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eastbaby
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:06 AM
I had it done a week before my induction.... I believe it helped my body prepare! It didn't hurt at all and only took like a few minutes to do.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

The thing about being stripped is that if your body isn't at least somewhat ready for labor ie: dilated and soft, then it's not really going to help. If it's not ready, then you could be chancing your water breaking without labor starting and you doing the meds induction early. I had mine stripped with Cole and it worked like a charm but I was dilated 3 1/2 centimeters and almost fully effaced.

orangeshirt
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Four days seems like nothing to us, but is quite significant in utero. It could mean the difference between a NICU stay or not. You never know, so why take the chance?
Quoting mama2gg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)