Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

For moms who had babies in nicu... what obstacle kept ur baby there?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have a 11 day old lil boy in the nicu right now... my other 3 children were in the nicu as well. My lil boy is very healthy but is there because they require he eat so many oz of breast milk before leaving. What kept ur baby in the nicu?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
halinichols
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

my preemie born 4 weeks early was in for 4 days. she had a hard time breathing at birth, and also a hard time eating. she was born 5 lbs 12 oz, lost 6 oz, and i think gained back 2 or so and then she was free to be brought home.

Becky.Mom.of.2
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM
There was meconium in my water. She wasn't super responsive right after birth. They said it looked like it had been in there awhile. She had a lot in her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmunchkin24
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM
My son was born at 35 wks. He was in the NICU for a total of 7 weeks. He was 4 lbs 10.3 oz. he had breathing issues so he was put on the vent immediately at birth. He also had a heart defect which he had surgery on at 3 wks old. The he had to learn to eat all of his feeds :) He's a happy mostly healthy 6 year old now . I say mostly healthy because we do still see a cardiologist regularly.

OP, I hope your baby does well and can be home with you soon :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM
My first was born at 31 weeks and he had apnea and bradycardia. He was there 5.5 weeks before i convinces the doc to release him. All they wanted to do was wait three days to do a simple blood test that could have been done at the pedis office. It was Christmas Eve and i wanted my baby home!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Dd was in for a solid week.  She had a massive infection and had to receive injections of antibiotics.  

She would have been in for 2 weeks but my mother is a nurse and was able to demonstrate her ability to give DD the necessary shots.  

crystalrbp
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Ds was born at 35.5 and weaighed 6lbs 13oz was in there for a week exactly. He was breathing way too fast, couldnt keep his temp up, and had to be under the billy lamp for 3-4 days. He is now 20 months old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM
I had a very difficult delivery. He went their first for bp and breathing issues, though they were normal within 24 hours. Since they didnt know what caused the issues in delivery, they decided to put him on a 7 day impatient preventative antibiotic regimen in case of infection

Quoting AProsser:

I have a 11 day old lil boy in the nicu right now... my other 3 children were in the nicu as well. My lil boy is very healthy but is there because they require he eat so many oz of breast milk before leaving. What kept ur baby in the nicu?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Karasfirst
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:13 PM
My dd was born at 34 weeks. 5 lbs 3 oz. stayed in the NICU for 30 days. She didn't have to eat a certain amount only had to eat everything
By mouth. And no more bradycardia and apnea spells.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsAdorkable
by on Sep. 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM
My 34 weeker has gastroschisis
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mlhoffman76
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM

My daughter is going on being in NICU for 18 days.  She is gaining weight, which was one of our obstacles.  She currently is still learning how to eat from a bottle, which she is getting better every day.  They told me today she will need to eat most of her bottle for all feeds, continue to gain weight and decrease the amount of brady episodes she's been having.  Right now the brady episodes are what worry me, she controls them herself which is great, but she has a good 10-12 episodes in a 24 hour period.  They said this is normal as she was only 32 weeks when she was born.  They are not concerned about them they just said she has to decrease the amount of episodes she has before she can come home.  I just want my baby home.  I have no idea when I will be able to bring her home and its hard.  I was told to be patient and it will take her time to learn how to do everything she needs to since she arrived early.  Anyone have any advice how to cope and try to be patient till these brady's start to go away? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)