Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

What is considered a large baby?

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM
  • 108 Replies
A co-worker of mine had her baby this past weekend and her son was 7 pounds and some oz. Another woman said wow that was a large baby. I thought it sounded pretty normal. Medically I thought if your baby is closer to to nine pounds that is considered a larger baby.

So what do you feel is a large baby?
pregnancy
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crystalrbp
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM
9+ I would consider a large baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mollysmom328
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM

This

Quoting crystalrbp:

Rydersmommy178
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:07 AM
my oldest was 8lbs 15oz, and my youngest was 9lbs 6oz. the nurses referred to them as large babies. 7lbs is average to me, my friend had a 6lb 3oz baby, she was small.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Becky.Mom.of.2
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Quoting crystalrbp:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Quoting Rydersmommy178:

my oldest was 8lbs 15oz, and my youngest was 9lbs 6oz. the nurses referred to them as large babies. 7lbs is average to me, my friend had a 6lb 3oz baby, she was small.

Yea I read this...When a baby weighs at least 4000 grams (8 pounds, 13 ounces) or 4500 grams (9 pounds, 15 ounces) he is considered macrosomic, literally meaning "large body."

Random but I think big babies are so cute lol.
pregnancy
BSisk11
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Mine were 5 and 4lbs, rather small but this baby this pregnancy is weighing in to be 7lbsish.. so our dr is considering this baby larger to us. 

But, typically 8-9lbs would be larger.. 

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM
My oldest was 8.9 ... my middle was 7.10 ...and my youngest was 8.12... I have a feeling this little boy will be bigger then my last.. but to be anything over 8 1/2 lbs is big
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstensmommie
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:10 AM

I would say anything 8lbs and up. But now days having a 8lbs baby is no big deal. But most babies are in the 7lbs range.

Rydersmommy178
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM
the baby is 4 months, and so chunky, he was long and skinny when he was born, but by the time 2 months rolled around he was definitely not skinny anymore. lol

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Quoting Rydersmommy178:

Yea I read this...When a baby weighs at least 4000 grams (8 pounds, 13 ounces) or 4500 grams (9 pounds, 15 ounces) he is considered macrosomic, literally meaning "large body."

Random but I think big babies are so cute lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I know anything over nine pounds puts you at higher risk for GD in subsequent pregnancies.

Personally I think anything over nine is big and normal is about seven to nine. That's just my opinion, everyone has their own definition. My mother insists that she had big babies but I was under six and my sister was just over six. When I told her my son was over nine she just about fainted.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)