Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those who think an epi will be there

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

I dont want to start a war, and I am not bashing anyone for wanting to get meds during delievery. But my best friend went in to be induced with her second child (the first time she got the epi), well she wanted it again, and this time it didnt take. She had to labor with no meds, and didnt really know how to handle the pain. I am planning a natural birth this time, and so I have already looked into breathing techniques to help me. I just think it is a good idea for all moms to look into breathing techniques to help with labor just incase this happens to you too. 

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Devious103102
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:20 PM

It's not uncommon. I know quite a few people that the epi either didn't take at all or only numbed up half their body (whole right side or whole left side). 

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you. I think every Mom should know as much as she can about pregnancy and birth. And should be prepared for any situation that might arise. I don't do epidurals and want my births to be as natural as possible. But with my last baby I had to be induced suddenly. I wish I had been more prepared for that possibility. And even though I never plan to have a c-section. I read up on them and learned about my choices just in case.

bellawomen
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Not only do they not always take (especially in overweight/obese women), but the doctor is just not always able to get to you because laboring women are low on the priority list because it is not life and death.

TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM
That's one of the problems with planning for an epi - they don't always work or work right and you're stuck with no techniques to deal with the pain. My cousins' only took on half her body. She said it was worse than before she had it and wished she had just stuck it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I totally agree--esp. since some hospitals don't like to administer it too early on either.

haymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:11 PM
I really don't mean to come off rude but i had a natural birth (no time for an epi Dr wasn't even ready) and breathing techniques may really help some people but i think its a load of crap i think if when i had my son and was waiting to get an epi someone tried to coach me in a breathing technique i would have been like really seriously and restrain ed my self from slapping them lol his wasn't a natural but for whatever reason his labor before meds hurt worse than my natural birth . It probably worjs if your hyperventalating or to distract yourself but its just not for me but i was glad i had read all doulalas responses on posts i read bc cor whatever reason my natural delivery i deli reed on my side and wasn't painful but my other 2 i was most comfortable on my back i know everyone bashes it but i like to be laying and still quiet nobody touring me but she always talked about different positions and other things for natural birth and while i planned for a mediated it was nice to know some information about natural bc you don't always have time or things happen like you've mentioned BUT i also think people who plan natural should know about the different medications in case something comes up with theirs and for whatever reason be that decide that can't take it anymore or in case a problem comes up and they have to make some unplanned decisions no matter what its good to be informed as can be
haymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Sorry for the ramble lol didn't mean for it to turn out that way
doulala
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:12 PM

It is a great idea to plan ahead for some coping strategies and help/doula.     There is usualy at least a little (if not a lot of) time before meds are available when laboring.

SaraSnider
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Mine didnt take either and i felt everything, thank gosh after 6cm i was only in labor 20more mins and only pushed for 10.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purvislets
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I've had two deliveries and two failed epidurals.  Even being taken out and redone numerous times they just could not get them to work.  Now, I'm mentally preparing to go all natural because I'm not putting myself through all that mess again.  I strongly suggest that all women look into natural pain relief options (breathing techniques, focusing on pictures, etc) just in case the epi doesn't take or they aren't able to get it to you in time.  Heck, I'm even reading up on delivering the baby myself at home or in the car on the way because I tend to have very short, intense labors and I want to be totally prepared!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured