Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Advice For a First-Time Mom

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

Since sharing the news that we are expecting our first bundle of joy, we have received numerous snippets of "advice" from almost everyone that has found out.  The advice has started to consume a lot of our conversations with people and it actually has become quite interesting what some people have shared with us.  I know that pregnancy and especially delivery is a tough thing to go through.  Your body is doing the most amazing thing on this earth - nurturing, growing and aiding in the development of another human being.  The sheer thought of what is actually happening inside my body is mind boggling.  While trying to come to terms with these changes in my life and in my body, I realize that I now have more questions (and am equally more curious) than ever.

Over the years, I have asked many of my friends and family tons of questions while they were pregnant.  I am one that loves to listen to people stories and if I can take any lesson or useful snippet away from them - I feel I am better for it. The one problem with asking (or having so many people willingly "share") information is that you often get conflicting advice.  For example one person shared with us, "DO NOT read ‘What to Expect When You're Expecting'."  Another person was then quick to say, "Make sure you read ‘What to Expect When You're Expecting'!" Our gut (and curiosity) told us read it, so that was one of the first purchases we made when we found out I was expecting.

While all this advice is very information and useful - I am quick to remind myself that every woman is different AND every pregnancy is different.  I find myself praying that my delivery will be as easy as person A and hopefully not as bad as that person B. While we appreciate all of the advice given to us - I have to remind myself that my husband and I are going through this process together.  In the end, we have to do what WE feel is right for us. I know our experience and journey will be our own but it is helpful to know what little bumps to "expect" along the way.  This whole experience is magical and really wonderful and I am SO happy to be along for this ride.

If you could share anything at all about the pregnancy/motherhood/delivery with a first-time mom (me!): What is the one piece of advice you would provide?

photos © Nicole | www.bakingitonmyown.com

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tayanddyl
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:38 PM

The only advice I give is "if you think its important, it is" No matter what everybody else says if you think your baby's runny nose is important enough to call the doctor, do it!  As time passes you will learn when to call and when not to

daerca574
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM

get sleep while they are sleeping!  Eventually they quit taking naps!

jessicasmom1
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Yes I would say sleep when you can, if you see something you like buy it next time chances are they wont have it

KaylaMillar
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Sleep while their sleeping. Take advantage of all the help you can get!

Leelee1008
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Being a parent is one of the scariest, craziest, messiest jobs there is, but its also wonderful. You really do NOT need to fallow the book to a T, parenting is a trial and error thing do what you feel comfortable with.

goddess99
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Sleep when you can.

Rushn311
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Take help when it's offered

elasmimi
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:56 PM

my best advice is enjoy every minute of it. well, maybe not labor, but the pregnancy itself is a miracle. Children grow up so fast, don't wish their lives away, wanting them to hurry up and walk, talk, get potty trained. It will all happen and you will soon be saying where did all those years go?

dusky_rose
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM

You don't have to be supermom when baby first gets here. The housework can wait, take care of yourself and baby first, and make sure you get rest when you can.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

sukainah
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I have to go with some of the other's replies and say "Sleep when you can!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN