Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Being induced? advice :) *edit*

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, so I don't know if I'm going to be induced or not...just have a feeling I will be.

My due date is this Wednesday. (Oct 3rd) I have a dr's appointment tomorrow morning so I'll see what he says then. I haven't had ANY contractions or anything that would make me think "oh, this could be labor". The only thing that's been going on is I think my mucus plug has been slowing coming out....and I mean very slowly...for like 2 weeks now. It's pretty annoying.

Anyway! I'm terrified of being induced and I've heard many, many stories of it turning into having to get a c-section, which I'm even more terrified of. So what do you ladies think? Do you think I might have to be induced? What's it like? I guess I just need you ladies to calm me down so I'm not so worked up about this :)

Also, if you are induced, do you get to pick the day or does the dr tell you "hey you're coming in this day at this time"?

Just got home from my dr appointment. I'm dilated 3 1/2-4 centimeters. I'm excited. BUT my dr will be out of town next week. He's leaving on Friday. He did bring up being induced. He explained it a lot and said he doesn't think I'd end up with a c-section. If I don't go into labor then he wants to induce on Thursday. I'm kind of 50/50 about it. Also, this is my 2nd baby and I was so worried about this because my first daughter came a month early. My water broke in the middle of the night while I was sleeping.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
EmilyL7
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Thanks! I'm done having babies tho! Just wanted her to hear how mine went since she asked. :-)

Quoting louzannalady:

Here is some great information on post-dates, if you are interested in learning more about the subject. 

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2011/08/22/what-acog-has-to-say-about-due-dates/  (This author has gone PAST 42 weeks with at least two of her pregnancies.)  

http://www.aimsusa.org/ppbr.htm  (Pregnant patient's bill of rights, per the American Hospital Association)

Quoting EmilyL7:

I chose to be induced at 39 weeks. Personal reasons to why.. But I picked my day and time. Went very well!! No c section. No epi. But anything past 41 weeks my dr considered no longer safe. So really talk to your dr and weigh the pros and cons of waiting till your well over due. :-)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Excellent! : ) I am glad! : ) If we are going to give advice, we should always be up-to-date on what is safe and what is not, so we are not putting misinformation out there.

Quoting EmilyL7:

Thanks! I'm done having babies tho! Just wanted her to hear how mine went since she asked. :-)

Quoting louzannalady:

Here is some great information on post-dates, if you are interested in learning more about the subject. 

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/2011/08/22/what-acog-has-to-say-about-due-dates/  (This author has gone PAST 42 weeks with at least two of her pregnancies.)  

http://www.aimsusa.org/ppbr.htm  (Pregnant patient's bill of rights, per the American Hospital Association)

Quoting EmilyL7:

I chose to be induced at 39 weeks. Personal reasons to why.. But I picked my day and time. Went very well!! No c section. No epi. But anything past 41 weeks my dr considered no longer safe. So really talk to your dr and weigh the pros and cons of waiting till your well over due. :-)

EmilyL7
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Agreed! But I know I sure as heck wouldn't wanna wait more then 42 weeks! Haha I was miserable at 39!

Quoting louzannalady:

Excellent! : ) I am glad! : ) If we are going to give advice, we should always be up-to-date on what is safe and what is not, so we are not putting misinformation out there.

Quoting EmilyL7:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting EmilyL7:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I understand that! I had such bad pain from 22 weeks on this last pregnancy, that I could not walk. But, I would go as long as my baby needed, to be safe. : ) 

Quoting EmilyL7:

Agreed! But I know I sure as heck wouldn't wanna wait more then 42 weeks! Haha I was miserable at 39!

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting EmilyL7:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting EmilyL7:

bpryce
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Its your body and your baby. Please do alot of research about inductions before deciding on one, and read multiple sources so you get a broad range of information.

I was induced with #1, my experience was the worst thing i have ever had happen to me in my entire life. Id rather spend 2 weeks in prison than ever be induced again. After i had ds i began researching inductions...i will only do it if mine or my babies life is in immediate danger. If your healthy, baby is fine to stay in there till 43weeks, fyi
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommieofII
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

I was induced with both of my girls and it turned out good... I didnt have any complications or anything but everyone is different. I was only 1 centimeter with my first so it took a little longer 15 hours and I was alomost 3 w my youngest and it took me 8 hours. I was induced because my doc thought my baby was too big already for my size. She thought she was around 7 and half pounds she came out at 8lbs 9 oz and my youngest at 7lbs 13oz... Love the chubby babies lol.... Well good luck and  from my experience I dont think you have anything to worry about if you are induced....

nikkifam5
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Induced with all 3 of my kids. And at least 3 of my friends weere induced a total of 5 times. My labors were fine. Under 6 hours. Pushed maybe 2x's. As for my friends, they had normal labors as well. No complications. Not to say there couldn't be. Obviously with any birth there can be complications. Just be ready for any and all possibilities. And reasearch everything. I respect all natural moms. But I feel as if they assume anything other then natural will more then not , end in hell... I've seen many many many of my friends and family have kids. And more of them had complications who went into labor past 41 weeks and were not induced. So like I said it can go either way. Just educate yourself on everything!.. if I end up being induced with this one, I do things like drinking raspberry leaf tea during labor and after. I feel more confident it will control my PP bleeding and help with my milk production. I also do not let them turn my pitocin up unless I feel it is needed. Which it never has been. Good luck mama! Do what makes you comfortable :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this
He wants to induce because he's going out of town? That's his fault for scheduling a vacation around your due date...there's no reason you and your baby should go through an induction that is not medically indicates simply because he can't make his schedule work for you. Although he says you would probably not have a c-section, he might change his tune if your labor starts getting to close to lasting until Friday at 5 pm when he's ready to start his vacation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Okay given your update, I would say you will have a better chance at a successful induction given its your 2nd and your past 3cm...that being said YOU AND ONLY YOU have to decide if it's worth the risk and extra pain to deliver with your doctor... I have had four and all delivered by different doctors/midwives and only the first with MY Dr... I really don't care who catches lol make sure you have your birth plan ready and that the people there to support you know your plan and how you want things to go :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
And post pics of that baby! Yay your gonna deliver soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN