Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

The place where you can still remember dreaming...

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

In my mind a proper baby’s nursery looks just like the nursery in the Darling’s home.  Wendy, John and Michael Darling have ample space to play.  Peter Pan flies through French windows.  Nana, the Darling’s newfoundland, slumbers on an area rug.  Adorable wooden toys and books adorn the shelving.    

As long as you have almost a thousand square feet to devote to housing all of the item’s on your baby’s “must have” list you can have a nursery right out of the stage set for Peter Pan, too.  

Chances are good your baby will be inheriting a spare bedroom or your office.  I don’t know about you but the spare room in my house is not a thousand square feet.  How do you cram all that precious baby stuff into one room?  To start with you have to decide what you actually need.  For me that meant making some decisions about where my baby would be sleeping.

With my first pregnancy we bought a crib straight away.  We designed an adorably beachy room complete with Aloha bedding and a matching lamp.  I couldn’t resist and we even had a tiny lounge chair in the Aloha pattern.  Weeks before she was born I remember telling our friends and family “Of course we are ready! Her room is all finished!”

I don’t remember when I realized that she had never slept in her room.  She slept in the bassinet in our bedroom. She slept in a pack and play in the living room.  She eventually slept in our King sized bed.  When we moved shortly after her second birthday and I disassembled her crib I realized I had decorated a room around the priciest laundry basket and stuffed animal holder one could purchase.

My second daughter is eight months old.  There is a crib in our guest room.  I couldn’t bring myself to have a baby on the way and no crib even though I am an admitted co-sleeper now.  But my guests do not sleep in a room that pays homage to baby animals or Minnie Mouse or the alphabet.  In fact, if it were not for the crib in place of a dresser you’d not even know you were staying in “the baby’s room.”  

This time in lieu of decorating a nursery I bought baby items that would gel with the rest of the house: a bassinet that matched my master bedroom bedding, a swing that jives with my living room decor and a bed safety rail that drops down to allow for making the bed. Instead of a glider for the nursery we found a nice rocking recliner for the living room.  I knew better this time than to set myself up to be stranded in the baby’s bedroom for the first few months in the only chair comfortable enough for nursing a baby.  

Will you be decorating a baby nursery? Or will you wait until the baby is older to fork over your guest bedroom or your office? Do your sleeping arrangements play a part in making that decision?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM

My sons nursery was decorated with Blue Jean Teddy Bears. I loved it. He had all the decor.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:50 AM
We have a 3 bedroom home. The girls have one room and Jr had his own until the baby came. We already decorated the room in Disney Cars so we got the Cars baby bedding for him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KristinRox
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM

With my first we took the time to make a nursery and decorated it and had it a room just for our brand new baby. When she came home from the hospital, she never slept in it. EVER. With our second, third and fourth babies we knew that theyd all spend the first year of their life in our room with us. Because of this we put their crib in our room. Decorated a small corner of the room for them, and that was it. It wasnt until they were a year old that we made them their own little room. 

KristinRox
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM

My sons have the Cars baby bedding too.. its too cute! 

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

We have a 3 bedroom home. The girls have one room and Jr had his own until the baby came. We already decorated the room in Disney Cars so we got the Cars baby bedding for him

JOIN US ON:

Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Never had a crib with our first we couldnt afford it then. so he mostly just slept with me. with dd i had a crib. i set it up and still never used it so i took it down and put it away because she slept with me to. we are moving to a new house and ill be decorating a room for her although she wont be using it for atleast another yr.

goddess99
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

My dd has always had her own room. It was decorated with teddy bears when she was a baby.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM
I love it. Everything else I needed except the pack n play was either given to me as gifts, or I borrowed it (I wasn't buying a bassinet for a few.months) and that was the one thing I had to have.

Quoting KristinRox:

My sons have the Cars baby bedding too.. its too cute! 

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by New Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I love to see how nurseries are decorated!

lalasmama2007
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM
When my dd was born we lived in an apartment, so although she had her own room, we couldn't go all out on the nursery. Her room was decorated in a jungle baby theme, but I would have done it all differently had we had our own home at the time.
sukainah
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My first son slept in the same room as us, we had the crib in our room and it left hardly any room at all for us to move around.  When I was pregnant with our 2nd son, we moved to a 2 bedroom so that our older son would have a room to share with the baby.  I decorated the babies side of the room with Pooh decor, but not too much because he ended up sleeping in our room in the pack n play the first several months.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN