Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Confused about preterm labor test??

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM
  • 25 Replies

SO I went into L&D last week and they tested me for preterm labor after having some contractions. They said the test came back negative and I wasn't dilated so I was free to go home.. Today I went to my OB for a regular visit and after looking at my chart she said the test came back positive NOT negative. I really have no idea what it means. Just that I am at risk for preterm labor? Should I be worried, because im freaking out.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
s00ntobemomof2
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

how far along are you? are u still having contractions? did ur doctor check for dilation stay hydrated and relax don't do a whole lot of exercise and what not

toria2316
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Im 28 weeks today. Not still having contractions. It was the 25th when I went into l&D.They checked for dilation while I was there and i wasn't. Now im just worried because they did a swab test for preterm labor and said it came back neg but my ob today said it was positive. 

Quoting s00ntobemomof2:

how far along are you? are u still having contractions? did ur doctor check for dilation stay hydrated and relax don't do a whole lot of exercise and what not

s00ntobemomof2
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM

i got all that what did ur doctor say? about it

Quoting toria2316:

Im 28 weeks today. Not still having contractions. It was the 25th when I went into l&D.They checked for dilation while I was there and i wasn't. Now im just worried because they did a swab test for preterm labor and said it came back neg but my ob today said it was positive. 

Quoting s00ntobemomof2:

toria2316
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Pretty much that I just needed to watch for contractions and call if they came back. 

Quoting s00ntobemomof2:

i got all that what did ur doctor say? about it

Quoting toria2316:

Quoting s00ntobemomof2:

lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Id ask what test it was and research it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toria2316
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yeah I just did after I posted it. Thankfully I found some good information. :) 

Its pretty much an indicator that you could go into preterm labor within the next two weeks but false positives are very common. 

Quoting lillucky8:

Raeanne1987
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My dr says that if it somes back that it only means theres a CHANCE of preterm labor, it scared me too, oh and Ill be 37 weeks wednesday :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by Ruby Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Oh good! I know there are alot of tests they can do, and that particular one does have alot of false positives, i had it done four times during my last pregnancy, lil bugger tried to come early.

Quoting toria2316:

Yeah I just did after I posted it. Thankfully I found some good information. :) 

Its pretty much an indicator that you could go into preterm labor within the next two weeks but false positives are very common. 

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
halinichols
by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:52 PM
The FFN (swab test) has only a 30-something% accuracy if it shows positive. Just means you are at risk of possible preterm labor within the next 2 weeks. Results are only good for 2 weeks. All mine have been negative yet I'm dilated at 2-3 cm and having contractions. Just bed rest yourself as much as you can and drink water! Since its positive they will probably do a repeat test when you go to your dr next. Negative results have a 98% accuracy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM

It means nothing.  I had a positive at 32 weeks and went into labor on my own at 38 weeks exactly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)