Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

School's in Session, and this Mama's Tired!

This summer, when I had all four of my young kids at home each and every day, I dreamed sweet blissful dreams of when the school year would resume back up. Heck, I even considered making a secret paper chain or something to hang in my closet so I could keep track of how many “sleeps” I had until the 2nd grade and Kindergarten started.

To reduce my kid count by 50% each and every day excited me. I don’t mean to sound like a bad mom (exhausted or fatigues would be more accurate), but I was pretty pumped to see summer vacation come to a close.

Because wow, keeping kids properly entertained and stimulated day in and day out is no joke. To all you homeschooling mama’s out there? I’m not worthy.

But then somewhere during those first few weeks into daily grind, I realized going back is school really hard work!

Our morning starts at 6:45 for all six of us. And while we do our best to be prepared the night before, it’s still a rush to get out the door in one presentable piece.

Eat Breakfast, drink some juice, swallow a vitamin.
Nurse the baby, change the baby, dress the baby.
Feed the toddler, change the toddler, dress the toddler.
Dressed the big girls in proper school uniforms. Make sure all shirts are tucked, all socks are white, and all pant are khaki and include a belt. And now that it’s fall, don’t forget the cardigan, for when it gets cold in the classroom.
Make sure lunches are pack appropriately. Sandwich, dairy, grain, fruit and drink. All parts and pieces need to be accounted for.
Find the homework, signed the homework. Put the homework in the backpack.
Brush the hairs, scrub the teeth. Wipe the face clean.
A hug around the neck, a kiss on the cheek.

And then we all (my four kids and I) tumble into the minivan around 7:35 and make the pilgrimage down the road a few miles to the front entrance of the school. We cross our fingers that we’re not late, and no tardy marks are administered.

Know what’s hard? Getting 4 children (one of which is a 8 month old baby) out the door in time, looking mildly presentable. From the time we wake, we have 45 minutes until the car leaves the driveway.

I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong. I’ll never be a summer vacation hater again. This getting up early and stuff, putting on a bra and getting to class on time? It’s for the birds!

Today, we make a paper chain to count how many sleeps until summer vacation starts.

What do you do to make getting out of the house run smooth? Clearly, I need some pointers in this department.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Samanthamommy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Good idea!

Quoting Bmat:

I set the children's clothes out the night before. They dress themselves and eat their cereal, brush their teeth and hair and pick up their bags, which are by the door.

Samanthamommy
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM

LOL, yes!

Quoting sukainah:

I make sure I have time for a cup of coffee before I do anything LOL...but breakfast is planned ahead and I know what time I have to start dressing my younger son and getting him ready.  We are usually ready early and we all have time to sit and relax before we go.

KristinRox
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I put everything out the night before. I make sure lunches are made and ready to go. I put out all clothings.. socks, underwear, pants, and shirt. I put the breakfast on the table they eat. They run off and put on the clothes that I put out for them. They brush teeth, and I do hair and make sure faces are clean and their outfits are straight and looking presentable. 

Then they leave. We can do all of that within a half hour, as long as I have prepared BEFORE hand. 

KaylaMillar
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

We homeschool so luckly we dont have a lot of these problems. 

elasmimi
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I get everything done the night before that I possibly can. Clothes laid out, backpack packed, lunches ready, and I do an easy breakfast.

Leelee1008
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I have 3 kids, 2 of which are in school. school mornings ran terrible. the good thing is one gets up at 6 and leaves at 630, the other isnt up until 8, catches the bus at 845. my daughter is up when I am getting ds#2 up for school, she plays in the living room while I get her brother ready and make her breakfast.Everything else kinda falls into place.

jessicasmom1
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

whew I am up at 6am with DD now  I make breakfast and make sure she has everything she needs 

gacgbaker
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Plan for everything the night before, it really helps!  And wake up 15 minutes earlier.  

itsblissmas
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I get everything ready the night before. Clothes are set out, back packs are packed, etc. The kids just need to get up, get ready and get out. LOL!

itsblissmas
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM

LOL! That's a good one. =)

Quoting sukainah:

I make sure I have time for a cup of coffee before I do anything LOL...but breakfast is planned ahead and I know what time I have to start dressing my younger son and getting him ready.  We are usually ready early and we all have time to sit and relax before we go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN