Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

School's in Session, and this Mama's Tired!

This summer, when I had all four of my young kids at home each and every day, I dreamed sweet blissful dreams of when the school year would resume back up. Heck, I even considered making a secret paper chain or something to hang in my closet so I could keep track of how many “sleeps” I had until the 2nd grade and Kindergarten started.

To reduce my kid count by 50% each and every day excited me. I don’t mean to sound like a bad mom (exhausted or fatigues would be more accurate), but I was pretty pumped to see summer vacation come to a close.

Because wow, keeping kids properly entertained and stimulated day in and day out is no joke. To all you homeschooling mama’s out there? I’m not worthy.

But then somewhere during those first few weeks into daily grind, I realized going back is school really hard work!

Our morning starts at 6:45 for all six of us. And while we do our best to be prepared the night before, it’s still a rush to get out the door in one presentable piece.

Eat Breakfast, drink some juice, swallow a vitamin.
Nurse the baby, change the baby, dress the baby.
Feed the toddler, change the toddler, dress the toddler.
Dressed the big girls in proper school uniforms. Make sure all shirts are tucked, all socks are white, and all pant are khaki and include a belt. And now that it’s fall, don’t forget the cardigan, for when it gets cold in the classroom.
Make sure lunches are pack appropriately. Sandwich, dairy, grain, fruit and drink. All parts and pieces need to be accounted for.
Find the homework, signed the homework. Put the homework in the backpack.
Brush the hairs, scrub the teeth. Wipe the face clean.
A hug around the neck, a kiss on the cheek.

And then we all (my four kids and I) tumble into the minivan around 7:35 and make the pilgrimage down the road a few miles to the front entrance of the school. We cross our fingers that we’re not late, and no tardy marks are administered.

Know what’s hard? Getting 4 children (one of which is a 8 month old baby) out the door in time, looking mildly presentable. From the time we wake, we have 45 minutes until the car leaves the driveway.

I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong. I’ll never be a summer vacation hater again. This getting up early and stuff, putting on a bra and getting to class on time? It’s for the birds!

Today, we make a paper chain to count how many sleeps until summer vacation starts.

What do you do to make getting out of the house run smooth? Clearly, I need some pointers in this department.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
slw123
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I have to get up extra early to make sure it all goes smoothly and even then we hit some bumps.

MamaMandee
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I get as much as I can done the night before. Plus it helps now that my 3 are 14, 9 & 4 lol

Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM

My kids aren't in school yet.

Rushn311
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I think if I were you, I'd make sure they could do something themselves.

For my daughter who is  almost 10, since pre-k, we've been setting out clothes the night before, backpack packed  and lunch figured out. Her alarm is set for 7, she eats, brushes her teeth, gets ready and is out the door by 7:30.

Now my son is harder to get motivated. I literally have to light a fire under his butt. LOL

LOswald0314
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

No matter how much I plan getting out of the house is never easy!

meam4444
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I found a routine which fits us best, and I try to stick with it.  Of course, days will vary, but I try to follow it as much as possible to keep things moving along smoothly.

dusky_rose
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:28 PM

LOL I don't envy you at all. I did the 3 kids thing when my older children were younger, but now I just have my youngest son. It was enough of a challenge when I had to get my niece to school and bring my youngest son with (he wasn't in school yet) last year.

Sue ~ Head Admin
~ D.V. Survivor/Admin

amonkeymom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I'm definitely more worn out this time of year with getting up early, getting a good breakfast/dinner on the table and of course the whole homework grind.  But the quiet during the day makes it worth it.  lol

ceciliam
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I prepare everything the night before.

Kmakksmom
by ~*Stefanie*~ on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

We keep a bag of things we may need in the car.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)