Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

School's in Session, and this Mama's Tired!

This summer, when I had all four of my young kids at home each and every day, I dreamed sweet blissful dreams of when the school year would resume back up. Heck, I even considered making a secret paper chain or something to hang in my closet so I could keep track of how many “sleeps” I had until the 2nd grade and Kindergarten started.

To reduce my kid count by 50% each and every day excited me. I don’t mean to sound like a bad mom (exhausted or fatigues would be more accurate), but I was pretty pumped to see summer vacation come to a close.

Because wow, keeping kids properly entertained and stimulated day in and day out is no joke. To all you homeschooling mama’s out there? I’m not worthy.

But then somewhere during those first few weeks into daily grind, I realized going back is school really hard work!

Our morning starts at 6:45 for all six of us. And while we do our best to be prepared the night before, it’s still a rush to get out the door in one presentable piece.

Eat Breakfast, drink some juice, swallow a vitamin.
Nurse the baby, change the baby, dress the baby.
Feed the toddler, change the toddler, dress the toddler.
Dressed the big girls in proper school uniforms. Make sure all shirts are tucked, all socks are white, and all pant are khaki and include a belt. And now that it’s fall, don’t forget the cardigan, for when it gets cold in the classroom.
Make sure lunches are pack appropriately. Sandwich, dairy, grain, fruit and drink. All parts and pieces need to be accounted for.
Find the homework, signed the homework. Put the homework in the backpack.
Brush the hairs, scrub the teeth. Wipe the face clean.
A hug around the neck, a kiss on the cheek.

And then we all (my four kids and I) tumble into the minivan around 7:35 and make the pilgrimage down the road a few miles to the front entrance of the school. We cross our fingers that we’re not late, and no tardy marks are administered.

Know what’s hard? Getting 4 children (one of which is a 8 month old baby) out the door in time, looking mildly presentable. From the time we wake, we have 45 minutes until the car leaves the driveway.

I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong. I’ll never be a summer vacation hater again. This getting up early and stuff, putting on a bra and getting to class on time? It’s for the birds!

Today, we make a paper chain to count how many sleeps until summer vacation starts.

What do you do to make getting out of the house run smooth? Clearly, I need some pointers in this department.

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-55):
kellynh
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM
I get everything ready the night before!!
KPetty4
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I am a stay at home mother with four children as well ages 8, 6, 2, and 10 months. It is no easy thing in the moning i know all about back to school. My children don't have uniforms so they pick their cloths and have backpacks ready the night before. After all the planning we still need at least an hour from the time we get up until we get into the van. I'm not sure I could do all that in 45 minutes every morning lol

Devious103102
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM

We do most of the things the night before (book bag checks, get out clothes, showers, etc) that way, come morning, the only things to do are the basics.  Get up, get dressed, brush hair & teeth, fix bed, etc. They have breakfast at school with their friends, after their school activities (my 2 middle daughters have their extra activities in the daytime, 730-8, then go to breakfast at 8 and class starts at 815-820). 

jessicasmom1
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM

get clothes set out the day before , to bed early for early riser , healthy cooking to give energy

lillucky8
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM
My kiddos arent in school yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN