Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Enough Love to Go Around

I think the most unique thing about preparing for a baby the second time around was how concerned I was about how the transition would affect my first baby.  My first baby seems like such a big boy most of the time.  He’s running, jumping, climbing and talking a mile a minute.  Other times though, I catch a glimpse of how much he’s still just a baby himself – when he gets hurt and wants me to kiss and make it better or wakes up in the middle of the night and needs to be rocked back to sleep.  He’s lived the entirety of his (admittedly short) life as the center of my attention – how would he adjust?  Honestly, though, I was a little concerned about how I’d do with the transition, too.  

I love this little kid so much I feel like I’m going to explode sometimes – could I really love a second child this much?  I know, I know – everyone says that the love just grows.  Part of me didn’t quite believe it.  It seemed like something parents had to say.  I wanted to clarify, “No, I don’t think you understand…I REALLY love him.  Like A LOT.”  Of course, I know I’m not unique in loving my child – but it’s hard to wrap your mind around every parent loving their child that much.  That’s a lot of love in this world.  It’s really quite beautiful to think about. 

And (spoiler alert for you mamas with only one child) it turns out it’s totally true.  The love does grow.  It doesn’t just grow – it explodes.  There is absolutely no shortage of love.  I won’t lie – it’s hard to juggle attention, time, and meeting everyone’s needs – but the love?  The love is overwhelming and makes all the challenging stuff worth it. 

Were you surprised by the intensity of the love for you child?   

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-51):
outer.banks
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I was worried about time and attention as well.

Quoting countrygirlkat:

I wasn't worried about the love but I was worried about the time and attention.  It turned out fine and my second and then my third just fit nicely into our lives. 

Join us in the North Carolina Moms group!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN