Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Benadryl in 3rd Trimester

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM
  • 16 Replies

I get chronic migraines.  I've been managing them with Benadryl and Fiorcet (rarely, but if the 1 Benadryl doesn't work). 

I have another one.  Tried sleep, water, food, caffine--all that jazz.  

I'm 27 weeks, right at the start of the 3rd trimester.  Most websites say that it's fine to take Benadryl then, but I've found one that says not to take it in the 3rd trimester.  Why?  

Also, is it better to take a Class C medication or half of a Class B dosage?  It would seem Benadryl would be preferable to Fiorcet, but I truly don't know with the one warning. 

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silka08
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Ive taken benadryl in all my pregnamcies. Run by doc if concerned. I was told only 25mg dose though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2littledaisies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM
Im 33 weeks and have been taking benedryl almost every night for the past couple weeks. I have RLS really bad and it gets worse throughout pregnancy, my dr gave me the okay to use it. Said i can take up to 100mg if needed but i take no more than 50 on a bad night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katie44
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Benedryl was fine but i didnt take meds, i would walk,nap etc to get rid of headaches, they are common in pregnancy
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

I'm glad that worked for you. 

Headaches and migraines aren't the same, by far.  Walking? Hah! I'm lucky if I'm not vomiting during a migraine.  I already noted the other things I tried (sleeping, eating, etc.)  Exercise makes it worse. 

Quoting Katie44:

Benedryl was fine but i didnt take meds, i would walk,nap etc to get rid of headaches, they are common in pregnancy

anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

RLS?  

I hate taking anything, but I'm really hoping that half a dose of Benadryl is better than having to take the Class C meds. 

Quoting 2littledaisies:

Im 33 weeks and have been taking benedryl almost every night for the past couple weeks. I have RLS really bad and it gets worse throughout pregnancy, my dr gave me the okay to use it. Said i can take up to 100mg if needed but i take no more than 50 on a bad night.

Katie44
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM
I had migranes to, and yes a walk and water helped me, or a nice massage and nap

Quoting anxiousschk:

Headaches and migraines aren't the same, by far.  Walking? Hah! I'm lucky if I'm not vomiting during a migraine.  I already noted the other things I tried (sleeping, eating, etc.)  Exercise makes it worse. 

Quoting Katie44:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anxiousschk
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

The way you said "headaches are common" seemed to disregard the seriousness of a migraine.  

Honestly, it's been my experience that headaches are usually better with a pregnancy.  I certainly have fewer migraines and they are less intense, but considering how bad my normal migraines are, it's not saying much. 

Water never (truly, never) works for me.  Nor does movement.  It only gets worse if I'm up and moving around.  I can nap, but if I fall asleep and haven't taken anything, I wake up with a worse headache than I started with.  

I can massage the pressure points on the back of my neck and that provides very temporary relief, but nothing approaching what's needed. 

I'm truly happy that you found simple remedies for your migraines.  

Quoting Katie44:

I had migranes to, and yes a walk and water helped me, or a nice massage and nap

Quoting anxiousschk:

Quoting Katie44:

cryleerhi
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

I take benadryl through out all my pregnancies when I needed to.  It's also on my list from my Dr of ok things to take at any time. 

Mamasgirl524
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Mine too.

Quoting cryleerhi:

I take benadryl through out all my pregnancies when I needed to.  It's also on my list from my Dr of ok things to take at any time. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
halinichols
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:36 AM
I took benadryl + tylenol combined with this pregnancy for RLP and SPD pains.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)