Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Benadryl in 3rd Trimester

Posted by   + Show Post

I get chronic migraines.  I've been managing them with Benadryl and Fiorcet (rarely, but if the 1 Benadryl doesn't work). 

I have another one.  Tried sleep, water, food, caffine--all that jazz.  

I'm 27 weeks, right at the start of the 3rd trimester.  Most websites say that it's fine to take Benadryl then, but I've found one that says not to take it in the 3rd trimester.  Why?  

Also, is it better to take a Class C medication or half of a Class B dosage?  It would seem Benadryl would be preferable to Fiorcet, but I truly don't know with the one warning. 

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Replies (11-16):
MommyRJ
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I took Benedryl for a sleep aid with my 2nd child so I'd go for Benedryl and Tylenol. I get migraines and I did often while pregnant and the best thing (because I avoid most drugs in pregnancy) was baths/showers. Caffeine and sleep. I kinda made myself suffer thru because my kids health was more important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2littledaisies
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

restless leg syndrome

Quoting anxiousschk:

RLS?  

I hate taking anything, but I'm really hoping that half a dose of Benadryl is better than having to take the Class C meds. 

Quoting 2littledaisies:

Im 33 weeks and have been taking benedryl almost every night for the past couple weeks. I have RLS really bad and it gets worse throughout pregnancy, my dr gave me the okay to use it. Said i can take up to 100mg if needed but i take no more than 50 on a bad night.

shortyali
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM
I wonder if excedrine tension headache is ok to take? I know that's safe while bf and it works better on my migraines than excedrine migraine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hurst0three
Divorce........
Yesterday at 10:30 PM
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM
I usually take Excedrin migraine for headaches without being pregnant. My dr told me Excedrin is a no no in pregnancy. I take Benadryl every night just to be able to sleep. I have Rls too and it sucks! Plus I have really bad itchy skin with this pregnancy. Dr said 25mg is good but no more than 50mg a night of Benadryl. Good luck!
shortyali
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM
I know excedrine migraine is a no no because of aspirin that's in it but the tension headache doesn't have the aspirin.

Quoting hurst0three:

I usually take Excedrin migraine for headaches without being pregnant. My dr told me Excedrin is a no no in pregnancy. I take Benadryl every night just to be able to sleep. I have Rls too and it sucks! Plus I have really bad itchy skin with this pregnancy. Dr said 25mg is good but no more than 50mg a night of Benadryl. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bshoemaker
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I just had a OB appt on the 2nd and benadryl was on my approved list of meds and I took it through my whole pregnancy with my son. You should be fine, you should always ask your OB just to be safe incase you have HBP or something we don't know about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)