Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How to be a good little girl, per the hospital. I'm not a good girl. *** UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM
  • 588 Replies
28 moms liked this

UPDATED INFO FOR THOSE WHO HAVE MISREAD **** I never said I know more than my doctor.

I EXPECT informed consent to be a requirement before any procedure, just like any other thing you go to the hospital for. They tell you the options the ones they like, the ones they don't like, risks and benefits and I get to choose. THEY EDUCATE, I CHOOSE.

If anyone wants to go on faith and blindly accept anything they want, that is fine I won't stop you. That is your business. You get your choices, I get mine.

I might wear the stupid hospital gown, but I don't want to be bullied into it. I don't know what I will feel most comfortable in, until I get there. But it is really funny that some think  that bulling is ok in the hospital, but not in school's?

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shygirl951
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM
5 moms liked this
Well, according to your hospital I'd be on the naught list. The hospital I've chosen meets my needs and wants so I don't have to worry. :/ lo siento mama maybe it's time for you and the doc to have a talk about your concerns
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM
8 moms liked this
Glad my hospital is not like yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Yuck. Is that hospital your only option? I'm planning to be at mine as little as possible - labor at home, birth there, spend one night and go home. Assuming baby and I are both fine, of course. Things would NOT go well for me at that hospital! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM
4 moms liked this

My I have told my dr no to induction and GBS. He didn't make either an issue. I don't think he will be an problem. Hubby said he read something on the wall in the office that he does prefer you to drink, but not to eat because of risk of asperation. So his opinion and the hospitals don't agree there. I already have my cooler planned. It is for my husband, he can't go anywhere. I have thrown up a lot with my period. I know what is safe to eat and how much and when.

And I have a bear of a husband. Tell him you are taking his son without his permission. Yeah right.

Quoting Shygirl951:

Well, according to your hospital I'd be on the naught list. The hospital I've chosen meets my needs and wants so I don't have to worry. :/ lo siento mama maybe it's time for you and the doc to have a talk about your concerns

orangeshirt
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM
7 moms liked this
Ugh. What a load of shit!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:36 PM
9 moms liked this

Smh... I am SOOO glad you know better that this crap, Momma! : ) Do you have a doula? I would not feel safe birthing in a hospital without one! You can hire a student for free or educed rate, as many work for the experience. : ) Oh and here is the link to ACOG's informed consent committee opinion (if you don't have it). It helps to have it in your bag! : ) You are going to rock your birth! : ) 

http://www.dona.org/ (Great way to find a cost effective doula, just contact one and see if there are students working!)

http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Ethics/Informed_Consent

ssenter
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow horrible hospital mine was not like that at all mine even allows midwives to deliver there if you want a natural delivery with hospital safety just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this

There is another and it is pretty much the same. In trying to get you in line. Automate your birthing process. Yeah I got an idea, we can let Detroit automate the process for us to get us pregger women in and out in a hurry.

I think maybe they just tell you this silliness to try to get you in line, but they stop when they see you are serious and not going along.

But again my Dr has tolerated the things I have already said no to in good stride. Dr's at the other hospital don't tolerate no I'm not going the gbs test for you. I will wait and see. Just like he thinks I should be 42 weeks and I go with the 39 because that is what seems to make the most sense. If I had done the gbs test at his 36 weeks when it was offered that would have been 6 weeks ago. Woefully out of date info. Since that changes constantly. Nurse today gave me more of an issue over it, saying even if you don't do the antibiotics she suggested that I do the test so I would have better info to watch my baby so if he got sick in 2 days they would know what it was to treat it instantly. But she was a bit negative in her approach to me, the PA at the Dr's office knows that automatic IV antibiotics has a poor treatment rate and acknowledged it to me, the nurse swore that was not true.

Quoting TTC2Long:

Yuck. Is that hospital your only option? I'm planning to be at mine as little as possible - labor at home, birth there, spend one night and go home. Assuming baby and I are both fine, of course. Things would NOT go well for me at that hospital! Lol

gumeshoe
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:51 PM
3 moms liked this

HAHA I have stuff in a word file from your links and other places to print out before go time. Some links are short and are pasted into the word file. Other pages I will print in entirety. Put in a 3 ring folder.

Quoting louzannalady:

Smh... I am SOOO glad you know better that this crap, Momma! : ) Do you have a doula? I would not feel safe birthing in a hospital without one! You can hire a student for free or educed rate, as many work for the experience. : ) Oh and here is the link to ACOG's informed consent committee opinion (if you don't have it). It helps to have it in your bag! : ) You are going to rock your birth! : ) 

http://www.dona.org/ (Great way to find a cost effective doula, just contact one and see if there are students working!)

http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Ethics/Informed_Consent

LoveOfWisdom
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM
3 moms liked this
What a load of crap!! Lol they'd hate me!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN