Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How to be a good little girl, per the hospital. I'm not a good girl. *** UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

UPDATED INFO FOR THOSE WHO HAVE MISREAD **** I never said I know more than my doctor.

I EXPECT informed consent to be a requirement before any procedure, just like any other thing you go to the hospital for. They tell you the options the ones they like, the ones they don't like, risks and benefits and I get to choose. THEY EDUCATE, I CHOOSE.

If anyone wants to go on faith and blindly accept anything they want, that is fine I won't stop you. That is your business. You get your choices, I get mine.

I might wear the stupid hospital gown, but I don't want to be bullied into it. I don't know what I will feel most comfortable in, until I get there. But it is really funny that some think  that bulling is ok in the hospital, but not in school's?

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Replies (401-410):
ab51304
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:59 AM
3 moms liked this

Who gave you this information?  They were wrong!  "How can an epidural affect my baby? As previously stated, research on the effects of epidurals on newborns is somewhat ambiguous, and many factors can affect the health of a newborn. How much of an effect these medications will have is difficult to predetermine and can vary based on dosage, the length of labor, and the characteristics of each individual baby. Since dosages and medications can vary, concrete information from research is currently unavailable. One possible side effect of an epidural with some babies is a struggle with "latching on" in breastfeeding. Another is that while in-utero, a baby might also become lethargic and have trouble getting into position for delivery. These medications have also been known to cause respiratory depression and decreased fetal heart rate in newborns. Though the medication might not harm these babies, they might experience some subtle effects like those mentioned above."  http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/epidural.html

Is anesthesia bad for childbirth?

When administered properly, it is not bad for the mother or baby. It is essential for c-sections and appropriate for some complicated deliveries. It is not appropriate for labor and most uncomplicated vaginal deliveries.

Do epidural medications reach the baby?

Small amounts of medication can be detected in the baby since most medications do cross the placenta. These amounts are rarely sufficient to affect the baby.

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Obstetrics-and-Gynecology/Frequently-Asked-Questions/Questions-about-Childbirth-Pain.aspx

You need to reread peer reviewed scientific papers and information regarding epidurals before you tell people that it does not cross the placenta and baby does not receive the medication.

dragonqueen
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:09 AM
2 moms liked this

My 2nd was

ab51304
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Hahaha, Jaybo are you a doctor or nurse?  You seem like the pushy nasty docs and nurses I've worked with on L&D!  I have known many doctors and nurses who have never even seen a natural childbirth because they would rather get the person in and out of their hair as quickly as possible!  Because of my EXPERIENCE on L&D and watching the nurses get pushed around by the OB's to PTD the patient I chose to have very experienced and well trained midwives to attend my home births with all my children.  This is exactly why the OP is posting this, so other people won't wind up with someone like you pushing them into unnecessary procedures.  I would love to see how many doctors you can interview will say they have seen a completely natural labor and delivery from start to finish that didn't have any interventions.  I guarantee you won't find one who works in a hospital!  Vaginal checks are absolutely not an indicator that a person will have a baby soon or that there is anything truly happening.  If you want to give birth in a hospital then you need to be prepared and have an idea of what you are walking into.  This is the LAST time you should be fighting for basic rights and comfort measures.  We are number one in maternal and neonatal spending in the world but fall far down the list (number 49!) on infant mortality. 

Now tell me again why she should just shut up and let these doctors and nurses do what they are 'supposed' to?

Pryncess026
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I did NOT allow any of that.  My birthing plan was straight forward and I crossed all my T's and dotted all my i's!  Unfortunately I went into a coma during labor and delivery and although they tried to deliver my son vaginally without any help (per my plan) it became a life or death situations for the both of us and I had to have an emergency C-section.  I don't regret any of my L&D and I'm glad my doctor listened and attempted my plan as closely as he could. 

Sweet_Carol_126
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Have you had a baby before?  I thought it was silly when they said to push as you can't push until it is time to push and then you will automatically.  I am sure they are trying to make the birth go well and that you will know what to expect.s  They do the iv because if anything goes wrong you are hooked up and they can do an iv or give blood or whatever quickly.  They don't take out iv when you are in hospital until day you leave usuallly (or when someone had surgery).  I don't recall it for child birth.    They don't want you to eat or drink because you could be sick and throw up in the middle of things and become dehydrated.   I was going to ask why you didn't get a midwife and have the baby at home.  Didn't know there were states that did not allow home deliveries.    MaYBE YOU should find a birthing center.  They are set up for more natural births. My daughter spent time in a tub of water and her husband was in there with her right until she was ready to deliver.  It was relaxing.  Baby was in the room.  Anyone else in there had to have a mask on but baby was fine there and Mom could take care of him/her when she could.  Dad had a comfortable chair.  My son caught his last child as she came out with the doctor standing by.  It was in the birthing center of a hospital.   Son was the same way.  Maybe you need to look for a more progressive hospital that will make your baby's birth feel more comfortable and natural. 

TRLesleigh
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:59 AM
1 mom liked this

That does not justify the whining.

Quoting louzannalady:

Actually, no. From a legal standpoint, even if she signs the paperwork, her provider has to inform her of the risks and benefits of each procedure and have her consent or refusal. A signed for does not negate her right to informed consent nor does it remove her autonomy.  

http://www.acog.org/Resources_And_Publications/Committee_Opinions/Committee_on_Ethics/Informed_Consent

http://www.aimsusa.org/ppbr.htm

Quoting TRLesleigh:

Quoting gumeshoe:

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

Seriously? Then have your baby at home and stop whining. Midwives exist. The hospitals put those rules and regulations in place to avoid any liability. You signed a paper giving them permission to treat you to THEIR standards. If you don't like it, sign out AMA and have your kid in the freaking bathtub.

ozziesmare
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Sounds like you should have the baby at home~every hospital has its own policies for the safety of ALL patients, not just you!

grey7399
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this

<<< snicker >>> it cracks me to think that YOU think you get to dictate the birth.  good luck with that.  If that were true, there would never be an emergency c-section or miscarriage.

Its their hospital, their rules.  You don't like it, give birth squatting over a toilet or rice field or whatever.

LeiOKeOla
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:14 AM
My first response, there are people out there that r just all about the money. Be careful. I'm sure some doc's mean well .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LeiOKeOla
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:15 AM
Look n2 midwife birthing ? Idk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)