Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How to be a good little girl, per the hospital. I'm not a good girl. *** UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

UPDATED INFO FOR THOSE WHO HAVE MISREAD **** I never said I know more than my doctor.

I EXPECT informed consent to be a requirement before any procedure, just like any other thing you go to the hospital for. They tell you the options the ones they like, the ones they don't like, risks and benefits and I get to choose. THEY EDUCATE, I CHOOSE.

If anyone wants to go on faith and blindly accept anything they want, that is fine I won't stop you. That is your business. You get your choices, I get mine.

I might wear the stupid hospital gown, but I don't want to be bullied into it. I don't know what I will feel most comfortable in, until I get there. But it is really funny that some think  that bulling is ok in the hospital, but not in school's?

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Replies (61-70):
ExquisiteMomof2
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I def would not be delivering at THAT hospital. Which is why I did extensive research on the hospital I was birthing at, which then narrowed down my OB docs to pick from.

I DICTATED every last bit of both of my labor and deliveries of my two sons. No one told me what to do, or when to do it. I CHOSE when and what. I was in control 100%. I said I wanted/needed to walk. I got to walk. I said I was hungry, I got a small light snack. I said I was thirsty, I got a drink. I said I wanted to take a shower, I got to take a shower. I said under no circumstances was my child to leave my room without me, and my children never left my room/side. I said I didn't want to be bothered by the photographer that comes around because I do my own photography, they made it clear that a photographer would not bother us.

I researched EVERYTHING from day one, and had a birth plan ready. It was in my file with my OB, it was on file with the hospital. The day I went into the hospital with both boys, the nurses station had a copy, my charts had a copy, my room door had a copy, my mother, and in laws ALL had a copy, and I placed a copy on the wall where the white board was so everyone could see it. There was NO MISTAKING my wishes. I had the labors/and births of my wishes and dreams. No complaints. What so ever. =)

Devious333
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:34 AM

What pisses me off is my dr backdoored me and told me if I left the hospital it would be AMA. I went there for an NST and BP check. I think it's bull shit that they are allowed to do that. So I had to stay and ended up with a c-section because if I would have left I would have ended up paying $20k instead of the $2k I ended up paying.

Mama_Dolly
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM

my old family dr didnt let me choose where I had my son. she had it already writen down... next time I am going to a mid wife/birthing center..

MommaCady
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I do agree that hospitals go overboard but to say they are silly to think they can dictate your birth? they most certainly can and should. its not Dr's or hospitals that should get the blame but instead the women who are sue happy should be to blame  

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

RoddaMom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM
Different hospital! I had a wonderful natural birth experience because I kept a copy of my birth plan with me at all times. I had to sign waivers when I first went into the hospital. I strongly believe the birth would not have been as wonderful if they would have messed with it. They're only there for emergencies. The doctor did not labor or deliver my baby..... I DID
aom1112
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I would so be hated too. 

jjchick75
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

That sounds like the hospital I delivered my twins at! It wasn't the hospital I originally chose but it had a very good NICU and the babies were being born early and we just didn't know if they would need the NICU or not. I was transferred there at 32weeks. I had, had 2 rounds of preterm labor before that and was in preterm labor when I was brought there. Luckily fluids and an increase in meds stopped them. They gave me steroid shots just in case.  When I checked in they assumed I would be having a c-section since it was twins. I told them no. Both of the babies were head down and I wanted a vaginal birth period. They finally agreed but they told me the only way they would "allow" me to do that was if I delivered in the OR and got an epidural! Toward the end of my 34th week the babies placenta(they were momo twins and shared a placenta) was beginning to show real signs of deterioration and decreased blood flow and their growth had slowed. So the decision was made that on the day I hit 35 weeks the babies would be born. They would stop the medicine to stop the contractions and see what happened. If I didn't go into labor in 24 hours I would be induced. I was off the medicine less than 6 hours when contractions started. I didn't say anything at first. But 8 hours after my last dose of medicine I was in full blown labor. They put the monitor on me and decided they needed to do an U/S to make sure both babies were head down. So they started the U/S which was great fun! Nothing like having someone pushing an U/S wand into your stomach in the middle of a contraction! In the middle of the U/S my water broke! The babies were born less than an hour later. They had no time to give me an epidural or get me the OR! Heck the neonatal team didn't even get there before they were born. Thankfully they were big and healthy and only went to the NICU for about 45 minutes as a precaution! They hated that I kept the babies with me all the time but it's I like I told them, they spent the last 35 weeks inside my belly near me all the time, nobody is taking them away from me as long as they are healthy. It was a constant battle though!

With my last baby I f inally got the homebrith I wanted! It was incredible! I think labor is something different and very personal! Women should be more respected and allowed much more say in what happens with their labors! We treat labor in this country like a medical problem and not a normal natural thing! It's just really bothers me!

smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM
I wasn't happy with two of the nurses at my hospital when all was said and done, but as far as the hospital itself... it was nothing like yours.

Do you have any other options as far as hospitals go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM
2 moms liked this
Well what happens if your doctor is correct about you being over due and your baby swallows maconium(sp?). My friends son spent the first 3 months of his life in the children's hospital because of it. I personally wouldn't take the risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtiFreeFalls
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM
Just FYI, home birth is legal in all 50 states, home birth midwifery is not. You can choose to have a home birth without an attendant or with an underground midwife or a naturopathic doctor (or otherlegal birth attendant, there are legal attendants in all 50 states as well, just harder to find).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN