Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How to be a good little girl, per the hospital. I'm not a good girl. *** UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

UPDATED INFO FOR THOSE WHO HAVE MISREAD **** I never said I know more than my doctor.

I EXPECT informed consent to be a requirement before any procedure, just like any other thing you go to the hospital for. They tell you the options the ones they like, the ones they don't like, risks and benefits and I get to choose. THEY EDUCATE, I CHOOSE.

If anyone wants to go on faith and blindly accept anything they want, that is fine I won't stop you. That is your business. You get your choices, I get mine.

I might wear the stupid hospital gown, but I don't want to be bullied into it. I don't know what I will feel most comfortable in, until I get there. But it is really funny that some think  that bulling is ok in the hospital, but not in school's?

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Replies (71-80):
mrsmisty32010
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Heck, my mom was pregnant with me and after having THREE kids before she KNEW she was ready to have me... but they told her she wasn't dilated enough to have me and were waiting to put her in a room. She ended up having me in front of the nurses station. All because they don't believe women know what the hell they are talking about, even after having 3 kids before!

mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I love your commentary :) I fired my OB and switched hospitals at 34/35 weeks with my last because they said I had to deliver on my back... Um no... I don't...
My midwife told me at my last visit that they won't hold me down and give me an iv if I refuse. Oh good! I said lol because I have heard horror stories lol i was respected when I had my 4th and I think every birthing mother should be respected! Everything is optional... They need to stop making it sound like anything isn't...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElizabethGracie
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree that some of that stuff is ridiculous...but I also don't understand why some moms,especially first time moms,seem think that they know better than doctors.Yes,it is your body and your baby,but the doctors aren't there simply for show. Like when moms say they refuse to be induced..sometimes being induced is necessary...I was induced at 38 weeks because my son was measured at 12 pounds...if I'd carried him another two weeks,I could have very well ended up delivering a 14 pound baby!

I know I will probably get bashed for saying this,but sometimes doctors do know best.

Rhodin
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Really?  I had both of my babies in two different hospitals in two different states and both times we shared a room.  They were both vaginal deliveries, one natural, one induced.  The only time either one was out of my sight was for the hearing test.  With my second, I even brought snacks, my own Boppy, and a wrap and no one batted an eye.

Quote:

I was asked if I had any instructions for the nursery. I said I didn't plan on my child going to the nursery. THE BABY CAN'T BE IN YOUR ROOM UNLESS SOMEONE IS AWAKE is what I was told. Hubby said I will be here and be awake if she isn't.
Blue_Spiral
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM

That's why I stayed home.

Fuck that.

The hospital I would have been transferred to from the birth center (since I would have risked out) has a policy of a 2 hour minimum in the nursery for every baby.

I heard that and was like, "OUTTA HERE!"

I am Kaela, a proud 24 year old atheist, pro-choice, single Mama to full-term breastfed, co-sleeping, freebirthed, intact, lucky little Wolfgang!

ApachePunk
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:41 AM
2 moms liked this

home birth itself is not illegal anywhere in the US, it's the type of midwife that is either recognized or not recognized by the state (therefore making it illegal) - but it's the midwife that's "illgal" not your birth. you can birth anywhere you damn well please. honestly, i would run far far away from that hospital now, even with as far along as you are and find a care provider that will respect you and REAL birth. you can find a baby friendly hospital or birthing center on here, maybe there is one near you? http://babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/index.html

also, legally they can't force you into anything (although when push come to shove, they take away your consent and do it anyway...happened to me, wont birth in a hospital again...had a great homebirth later). you make your choices and stick to them. have a birth plan and HIRE A DOULA NOW! Read every word of every paper they give you and if you don't want to sign it, then don't. you have rights. their hospital policies DO NOT trump the law.

also, while you are waiting for your baby to come on his/her own time....read this magazine: http://pathwaystofamilywellness.org/item/issue-24-winter-2009.html

specifically these articles: http://pathwaystofamilywellness.org/component/option,com_crossjoomlaarticlemanager/Itemid,161/view,crossjoomlaarticlemanager/

http://pathwaystofamilywellness.org/component/option,com_crossjoomlaarticlemanager/Itemid,160/view,crossjoomlaarticlemanager/

http://pathwaystofamilywellness.org/component/option,com_crossjoomlaarticlemanager/Itemid,172/view,crossjoomlaarticlemanager/

TRLesleigh
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting gumeshoe:

My dr wanted me to go in today to L&D to get an NST because he thinks I am 42 weeks, I think that I am 39 weeks. Late ultrasounds vs LMP. Did NST Thursday, Tues, Thursday, today on Sunday, and then have appt to go back on Tuesday. So we have done this for a while. I don't think they are really needed, I am just going along with some of his wishes. I have told him NO on induction. Just keeping the peace really going along with the NST's.

While at the hospital they give me a pamphlet on how to be a good patient.

Admission. Upon arrival to the childbirth suite you will be INSTRUCTED to change into a hospital gown ... A vaginal exam will be done to see if your cervix is ready for the baby to come.
It says not to worry we are assessing your baby continuously. IE STAY IN BED WITH THE NST MONITORS ON AT ALL TIMES.

You are staying to deliver your baby. IV fluids WILL BE STARTED in your hand or arm. This will help in the prevention of dehydration and/or low blood sugar.

Can I eat or drink? While you are in active labor most physicians WILL ONLY ALLOW clear liquids and ice.

Vaginal Delivery. When your cervix if fully dilated you WILL BE INSTRUCTED to start pushing....If the baby appears healthy and is breathing well, he may be placed on your stomach.

I think me being comfortable, wearing what I want because I am not sick, being able to move is going to do more to progress my labor than you hooking me to a useless machine for the duration. Laying on my back in pain not moving isn't going to fly. You might get 20 mins. Might. I sure am not allowing you to start a non medically needed IV, I am giving birth I am not SICK. I will prevent dehydration and low blood sugar the old fashioned way. And I am pretty sure I will know when I need to push. Why do you believe that my cervix is just yours to grope as you please? I mean really the baby is going to come regardless if you check or not. PS you have no rights over my child and where he will be. He needs to come to me immediately. You don't get to tell me how soon I can see him or when I get to have him in my room. He is MINE. He will be with a parent at all times. (he has an umbilical cord and if anything is wrong, you need to leave it intact to allow you time to work on him vs detaching him from his built in life support)

It is silly in this day and age that hospitals think they get to dictate your birth. They use words to make it sound like you have no options. I didn't bother addressing any of this today. No need to start issues early. But Hubby is like wait a min who do they think they are. You can ask, you can suggest, you don't get to demand. Too bad home births are not legal in my state. But after today, Hubby FULLY understands why you would not want to get to the hospital early.

Seriously? Then have your baby at home and stop whining. Midwives exist. The hospitals put those rules and regulations in place to avoid any liability. You signed a paper giving them permission to treat you to THEIR standards. If you don't like it, sign out AMA and have your kid in the freaking bathtub.

Blue_Spiral
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a wonderful home birth for my first baby because I studied my ass off and I wanted to find out about birth for myself before I had people interfering with my experience because of unscientific policies.

Also, inductions have soared and so have the rates of babies in NICU because they are induced unnecessarily and before baby is ready. Inducing because of size is a pretty lame reason. It's very difficult to pinpoint a baby's correct size in the womb. Was your baby actually 12 pounds at birth? It's pretty unlikely, and even more unlikely that he would have been 14 flippin pounds in 2 more weeks lol.

There is a saying in the natural birth community that your body won't grow a baby too big to birth. If it does, that's a pretty damn rare scenario.

My MIDWIFE told me I was going to grow a baby "too big to birth" (her words) because I was overweight. 

My son was 10 pounds, 2.5 weeks late and came out with about 5-10 minutes of pushing, one half-inch internal tear, at home with only me, my husband and my mother present after a normal 10 hour labor.

You are right that sometimes doctors know best. That's why they go to school. However, in school there is some very inaccurate information being given and it is slowly changing. The thing is that it takes a while for policies and training to be changed because of the fear of being sued, and then once they know better it takes even longer to get things implemented. Slowly but surely hospitals are seeing the necessity of doing things more "naturally," but as with any positive change it takes time. 

Quoting ElizabethGracie:

I agree that some of that stuff is ridiculous...but I also don't understand why some moms,especially first time moms,seem think that they know better than doctors.Yes,it is your body and your baby,but the doctors aren't there simply for show. Like when moms say they refuse to be induced..sometimes being induced is necessary...I was induced at 38 weeks because my son was measured at 12 pounds...if I'd carried him another two weeks,I could have very well ended up delivering a 14 pound baby!

I know I will probably get bashed for saying this,but sometimes doctors do know best.

TAG_ur_it
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

when i had my youngest, i wore my own nightgown, fuzzy socks, and she only left my sight to get cleaned up.  she was with me the rest of the time.  my doctors sucked (sent me home 7cm dialated among other things) but as far as the hospital rules and such, they were great.  exSO was a compelete asshole the whole time and got punched in the stomach a few hours later.  he said something stupid and suffered for it.  the nurse "didn't see a thing", even when he was on the ground groaning.  too bad i don't live in that state anymore. i'd totally use that hospital again. 

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM
1 mom liked this

You made the big time! They put this as one of the big featured posts on the home page! Yay! I hope people get to learn their rights from your example!!!! : ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)