Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

early pregnancy & HCG levels

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello, my name is Monique... I am very early in my pregnancy. Probably about 4-5wks. I was seen in the ER to test my HCG levels and they were at 72. I was told to return to repeat the blood work 48hrs later.. The numbers only increased by 3.. I then returned two days later to repeat the blood work again and on this day it doubled. Although the Nurse doesn't think the pregnancy has failed, she gave me two options.... To either come back again and hopefully the numbers double showing that everything is okay with the pregnancy or to have a D&C done because of the  slowly climbing HCG levels they aren't too sure what could be going on in there ... I have decided to follow up with my OB because all of the information I have read, my numbers do not indicated a failed pregnancy... Had the numbers dropped and or I was bleeding or cramping that would be a different story... What do you think? Should I be worried?

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RedheadMama18
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would see your OB and do more blood work.  I don't think that is any reason to have a D&C done!  

rachelrothchild
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't have a D&C done because of low hcg.  It can vary.  I think measuring it so early can cause worry.  I wouldn't worry yet.

kblpooh
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
This. Your numbers are going up. Don't ever go by what the ER Dr or nurse says. They are trained in basic emergency care not prenatal care. Keep thinking positive.

Quoting RedheadMama18:

I would see your OB and do more blood work.  I don't think that is any reason to have a D&C done!  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
That's the most asinine reason for a D&C I've ever heard. They want you to force a miscarriage because something MIGHT be wrong? Ugh.

I had an HCG level of 18 at 3w4d. I only got blood drawn because of a previous miscarriage and I wanted to ensure my progesterone levels were fine. They were, so I didn't go back for repeat bloodwork...there's no point seeing as how nothing will be stopped if it is already happening that soon.

Take care of yourself, take it easy, and don't worry so much about it. And definitely ignore the crappy advice you were given at the ER.
orangeshirt
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Why were you going to the ER to have levels checked anyway?
missmomo28
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Because I orginally thought I felt some slight cramping and don't have an appt to see my OB until Oct 30th. I figured it would be a very quick and simply thing. Go in, take the urine & blood test and maybe an ultrasound to confirm. But once the blood work came back they made it a very big issue about me following up with they're department since this was a long holiday weekend. I'm so annoyed with Boston Hospitals. But you guys are right. I will take it easy and follow up with my OB
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RedheadMama18
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

If you aren't cramping or bleeding don't stress!  I had a lot of cramps in the beginning with this baby.  I think it can be fairly normal because of the baby implanting and getting comfy in its new home!

Quoting missmomo28:

Because I orginally thought I felt some slight cramping and don't have an appt to see my OB until Oct 30th. I figured it would be a very quick and simply thing. Go in, take the urine & blood test and maybe an ultrasound to confirm. But once the blood work came back they made it a very big issue about me following up with they're department since this was a long holiday weekend. I'm so annoyed with Boston Hospitals. But you guys are right. I will take it easy and follow up with my OB

Stephanie116
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Cramping is normal. And I can't imagine anyone performing a d&c without doing an ultrasound and waiting until the heartbeat can be seen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)