Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Take a deep breath and call...

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies

I planned on writing a post this week about must have gadgets for the tech generation.  If you’re pregnant chances are you are tracking your pregnancy online or maybe even using an app on your smart phone.  I was going to tell you about how there is an app that can make a pair of iPhones or an iPhone and an iPad in to a video baby monitor!  

There are apps for everything and baby stuff is not exempt.  With all the things your smartphone can do it is easy to forget that they make phone calls.  When I picked up the phone and dialed 911 the other morning it didn’t matter to me that my phone could probably build a spaceship.  I knew I needed help.  And in less than thirty seconds help was on its way.  

I turned my back for less than ten seconds.  My eight month old was cruising along the furniture one moment and the next she was sitting on the floor in the living room her eyes wide open.  In a past life I was a lifeguard.  The first thing you learn is that a drowning person doesn’t look like it does in the movies.  Often it is quiet, there is no wild flailing of arms, no signs of struggle.  She was not grabbing at her throat to indicate to me that she was choking.  But I knew the signs.  

She was silent.  Her eyes wide.  He face was getting redder.  I put my face down next to hers and there was no sound.  She wasn’t breathing.  

A.  B. C.  Airway.  Breathing.  Circulation.  Immediately I remembered what I had learned in an Infant CPR class.  I checked her airway, leaning her little body back onto the carpet and tipping her head back.  As soon as I noted that she was definitely not breathing I picked up my phone and called 911.  

There is a risk of permanent damage to the brain after four or five minutes without oxygen.  I learned that in a CPR class.  So I picked up the phone and I called for help.  

I was lucky.  While on the phone with the emergency dispatcher my infant coughed up what turned out to be mucous.  But I was prepared to begin breathing for her.  Because I have taken an Infant CPR class.  I recognized the signs of an infant in distress.  I know the difference between an infant gagging and an infant choking and without air because I took an Infant CPR class.  

“You did the right thing.  Call us back if you need us,” said the dispatcher.

It seems irresponsible to use this space to tell you about a handy iPhone app or how to count your baby’s wet diapers on your Android phone.  This week I feel like I should take advantage of a chance to remind you to sign up for an Infant CPR class.  I hope you never need it.  

Have you taken an Infant CPR class? Have you ever need it or have you called 911?

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellynh
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Yes, I absolutely know CPR. I think it's the responsibility of every parent to know this. I have had to call 911, but not for this.
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM

I know infant and child CPR/fitst aid. Thankfully I have not had to use it.

natesmom1228
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:24 AM

No I have never taken an infant CPR class. I have never called 911.

Cafe Amber
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I have never take CPR (although we did have a teacher show us the basics in a class once) and thankfully never needed it or needed to call 911- but this is something I would like to do.  I think it's important. 

4kidz916
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I took a CPR class several years ago but my certification has expired.  I need to take another class. 

4kidz916
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:36 AM

BTW. I'm glad your situation had a happy ending. 

sukainah
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I'm so glad she is okay.

I never did learn CPR for infants but have never had to call 911 or have any choking emergencies.  Thank God.

KaylaMillar
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I learned infant CPR in middle school
countrygirlkat
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I have taken one.  It has been a few years so I should probably go for a refresher though.  As of yet I haven't needed it but with three kids I could someday. 

goddess99
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM

I didn't take a cpr class nor have I ever had to call 911.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN