Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Maternity Leave: Did you/will you use it for the last few weeks of your pregnancy or only postpartum?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: When did you/ will you start maternity leave?

Options:

Before the baby is born- taking the last few weeks of my pregnancy off.

Only after the baby is born- only using maternity leave for recovery.

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 54

View Results

I am 32 weeks and starting to get uncomfortable at my job. I am having alot of lower back and leg/hip pain. My doctor wrote me a letter for my employer saying that I was physically unable to keep working. I could give it to her and be able to start my maternity leave. But my original plan was to work until the day I had the baby so that we wouldn't lose the income until we had to.

I am a janitor. I only work Friday-Sunday and they do let me take breaks when I need them. I don't think it will cause any injury or harm for me to stay there, I am just uncomfortable and tired.

Would you start maternity leave or just hang in there until the baby arrives?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
BosGirl0906
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM
I work for my dad so you would think that would make it easier for me to start my leave before the baby is born. But he is semi retired and expects a lot out of me. I am the office and store manager for both of his stores. I work 2 days in the office and 4 days in the stores. I am going to try to work til my due date but the closer it gets, I plan to work more in the office and less in the stores.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

I only worked with my first pregnancy. I had really bad sciatica and worked at an animal shelter. I had to clean 20 plus dog kennels twice a day and mop. By the time I left at night I could barely walk. My boss told me I could quit early if I wanted to so I did. I quit around 34 weeks I think. 

In your case, if you feel like you can keep going, and you can pace yourself, I would stick with it. Especially with it only being 3 days a week. Can you see a chiropractor to help with some of the pain? Also take lots of warm baths and get massages from hubby.

LaughingTattoo
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Im going to hang in for as long as possible. I want the most time with my baby as I can get. As long as your employer is suopportive and you are able to continue without a danger to the baby, I would

mnmo3bb
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:37 AM
I started mine early with my first... The rest I wasn't working... But with my first I got 6 weeks paid off and I started it and then waited about 2 weeks for her to be born (she was 9 days "late") so it kind of sacked that I had to go back when she was only a month old. I would have rather of had the full 6 weeks with her...
My husband started his 3 weeks off when I was 39 weeks with our 3rd...we spent the first week waiting for him to be born and the 2nd week in the nicu... It would haven't worked out that way but we drove four hours home to have him... So we had to drive back and he went back to work within a week of is being back...
This time I hope he works until the day the baby is born and then starts his full month off...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brightstar28
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM

I'm hoping to work up until baby is born.  I am in an office all day, sitting for most of the day so I don't really have any issues that I can see in the future.  Hopefully!

CafeMom Tickers
kirstensmommie
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I'll be 39 weeks on Saturday and my last day of work is suppose to be Friday.

Mazie0723
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

I'm a SAHM I get no maternity leave.lol With my youngest I worked until 4 days before I had him only because my boss didn't want me to go into labor at work.lol And then I was back to work when he was 10 days old.

Little Man

pregnancy week by week

bebcarroll
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I got put on bedrest by 28 weeks so the decsion was made for me.  I ended up going back 6 weeks after her due date, I worked 3 days (it was retail at chrismas time) and they let me go.

ferne3
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Well, I am in a weird situation were my employer is dropping me right before I give birth - so I don't get a choice - long story.  But for my first kid - I took off the four weeks before delivery and it wasn't considered maternity leave but ST Disability and didn't apply to maternity leave calculations.  So I TOTALLY took it.  Not so much cause I needed it, but for a break from the job I hated.

rachelrothchild
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM

SAHMs don't have maternity leave

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN