Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How come you cant drink water with a glucose test? Update in replies

Posted by   + Show Post
The doctor said i cant eat or drink anything after midnight. But last i checked water doesnt spike your blood sugar. I get so thirsty at night. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
shjchica
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I can drink water but can't eat after 10pm. I made my appointment for 6:30 in the morning just so I don't have to go forever w/o eating.

LilynAustin
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I would think that during the test you shouldn't drink...it may dilute the reading.  However, the night before??  Yeah, you should be able to drink.  I would re-read the instructions or call and ask.  It may have been a misunderstanding.

Randi02
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea, I skip the glucose test.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisB0107
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM

depends on the doctor. My doc didn't tell me I had to fast after midnight for my glucose test... and the lab tech told me that I had to wait at least 20 minutes before dirnking any water and it's best to only sip at it.

rachelrothchild
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That makes no sense and being dehydrated while pregnant is bad.  It's like he's setting you up for failure.

Starchild84
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I was told that I could drink water duing the 3 hour test.

CV3
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I could drink water but nothing else after midnight. If you drink regular water you'll be fine but that sugary flavored stuff will make your level go up and it wont be a true reading. And I totally agree with the other people here....I think you should refuse to do a three hour with out the one hour first. Did you gain alot of weight or something? Do you have protein in your urine? At the very least, make the doctor tell you why he is skipping the one hour.

RedheadMama18
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I didn't have to fast for the 1 hour, only the 3 hour when I did it with my DD.  I'm hoping to pass the 1 hour with this baby.

swmmra
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:00 PM

yes you can

mommaslilmen
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Not sure, I was told I could if I wanted. All I really wanted was some gum
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)