Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

My friend recently announced she is pregnant. She has known for a few weeks  that she is pregnant, and she was just waiting for the ultra sound. I understand that,  but they can't find the baby they are saying she lost it but even weeks later she hasn't bled had any pains she is on bed rest and still gets positive test she said she doesn't feel she lost the baby because she hasn't had anything pass. I agree with her and think she needs to get another opinion has anyone dealt with this? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Replies (11-17):
mysty923
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:15 PM

that happened to me at 10 weeks

they could see just the baby - no heart beat  - nothing else

I was in denial and got a 2nd opinion and it was nearly a month before I bled

Dinosaurspiders
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I've never dealt with that, but if you miscarry you usually pass blood and tissue. If you haven't they have to help complete the miscarriage. I am wondering if she might have some kind of condition that would cause her to test positive on a pregnancy test because of strange fluctuations in her hormones. Regardless, if it says pregnant, and they can't find the baby, she has to see a doctor to see why she hasn't passed anything. That just sounds like a huge mystery that needs to be solved!!

Dinosaurspiders
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I agree with this. 

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

If she has already had an u/s and it was a while ago, it is possible that they couldn't see baby yet because it was too small. It's always wise to get a second opinion before accepting diagnosis of miscarriage, especially before 12 weeks and especially if told by er docs that there is no baby. Do not ever take meds to expel a "dead" baby or have a d&c based on one opinion (unless your life is in danger) simply because your dates may be off and it's too early to see baby or a heartbeat. I wish her luck. Keep us posted.

orangeshirt
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:55 PM
She could be experiencing an ectopic.

Or, most likely, she could be having a perfectly normal pregnancy. If she's 8-12 weeks along and the u/s was done around 4-7 weeks, it is possible to not see a baby, especially if her dates are off. Early sonograms are essentially useless unless there is a high risk condition that your doc needs to monitor.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

But they should definitely be able to find the baby!

Quoting katielawlor:

everybodys different, but it seems to me like if shes that far along their should be some signs like pain or bleeding if she did lost it, I would definatly go with the 2nd opinion

Quoting Loving19mommy92:

About 2 or 3 months. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM
I think she should request another ultrasound. There needs to be more investigation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieFlower
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM

That is so strange. I hope things work out for her... perhaps she should just go to the emergency room and say she needs to be seen asap.  I would say it is imperative that she is seen very soon.  How can she be left wondering like that? how stressful...

summerbear
by Rachel on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM
I agree with her getting a second opinion. Dates could have been off. I can not imagine the stress she is under. Prayers are with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)