Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I have a question for you if you've given birth without an epidural!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

What was the most painful part of labor for you? Was the pushing worse than contractions or vice versa?

I went through most of the contractions without an epidural so I know what that pain is like, but I had an epidural for the pushing. I'm just wondering if I can make it this time without an epidural at all. The reason I had one before was because my coccyx was going to break again when he came down the birth canal and I did NOT want to feel that, lol. 

I've heard from some women that the pushing came as a relief after the contractions... sort of like it was relieving pressure? But then others have said the pushing was worse. I don't know. What was your experience like?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
Devious103102
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM

The pushing, for ME, wasn't as "painful" as it was exhausting. It "hurts" but what I felt wasn't pushing/ripping/tearing pains, what I felt was contraction pains while trying to push and THAT was what hurt. 

NinjaMomma
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM

pushing was quick and felt good.  I didn't really even push to be honest.

mama2my2boys
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
contractions were the worst part by far pushing felt good and i never had the ring of fire pain (3x mama here each with no epidural) its mind over matter and i heard that when one get a epidural it blocks the natural pain endorphin ur body makes that the baby gets so when u get a epi the baby is in more pain because the "pain med that your body releases dont go to baby"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4_little_angels
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Beats me lol. This was 11 years ago. I got to the hospital, got checked and was ready to go. One push and he was out.

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Really? Why is 4cm too late for an epidural? I didn't get to the hospital until was 8cm and still didn't get an epi until 9cm. 

Quoting 4_little_angels:

I had my ds1 without one but he came early at 32 weeks. My water broke at home and I was in pain but it was tolerable. When I got to the hospital I was already 4cm, too late for an epidural. He was born within half an hour of getting there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butterflycircle
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel this way too. I think the worst part was the contractions between 6-10cm too. I was doing great with the contractions until then. Also at that point they broke my water and started pit (don't let them do this ever at the same time it is not needed and the conctractions hurt soooo bad). With my first I had the epi and things were easy. With my second I got the epi around 7cm and it didn't work I think it was just to late for me to get it and I was dailating to fast. I want to go all natural this time but I am scared  lol. I ask my self "Can I do it? Can I handle it?" then I go "I knooooow I can, I was made to do this, my body knows what it is doing." it is so hard though you go 9 months just thinking about giving birth lol and it is not as beautiful as people say (and I didn't even see all the gross part lol).

Quoting Snapdragon88:

lol, I knoooowww... I don't know why I doubt myself, I actually handle pain very well. Child birth is just... daunting, lol. 

Quoting Fellie:

The contractions were tolerable and the pushing didn't hurt for me at all. I'd say the worst part was going from 6 cm to 10 cm in 20 minutes. My baby was 8lbs 9oz, she came out in 3 pushes and I didn't tear. OF COURSE you can make it, silly! :P But everybody is different. Just have to see for yourself and make sure you're as prepared as you can be! Have lots of support and don't be scared!

Snapdragon88
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM
Ooh, okay :) I'm glad the birth was easy enough for you!

Quoting 4_little_angels:

Beats me lol. This was 11 years ago. I got to the hospital, got checked and was ready to go. One push and he was out.

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Really? Why is 4cm too late for an epidural? I didn't get to the hospital until was 8cm and still didn't get an epi until 9cm. 

Quoting 4_little_angels:

I had my ds1 without one but he came early at 32 weeks. My water broke at home and I was in pain but it was tolerable. When I got to the hospital I was already 4cm, too late for an epidural. He was born within half an hour of getting there.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessihernandez
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Pushing was such a relief after contractions. You can feel so productive when pushing, not so much just going through the contractions. Crowning did hurt, but it doesn't last long. You can totally do it without the epi!

orangeshirt
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM
I had 12 hours of back labor followed by an hour of pushing with my first. The crowning was the only real pain I remember and that lasted all of a minute or two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orangeshirt
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe it was more about effacement and station, combined with the fact that your water had already broken...perhaps they saw that baby had already descended and figured, even at 4cm, it was going to happen pretty quickly.

Quoting 4_little_angels:

Quoting Snapdragon88:

Quoting 4_little_angels:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MarShy740
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 4:29 PM
During the pushing it hurry a lot more but after it was a relief!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)