Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

I have a question for you if you've given birth without an epidural!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

What was the most painful part of labor for you? Was the pushing worse than contractions or vice versa?

I went through most of the contractions without an epidural so I know what that pain is like, but I had an epidural for the pushing. I'm just wondering if I can make it this time without an epidural at all. The reason I had one before was because my coccyx was going to break again when he came down the birth canal and I did NOT want to feel that, lol. 

I've heard from some women that the pushing came as a relief after the contractions... sort of like it was relieving pressure? But then others have said the pushing was worse. I don't know. What was your experience like?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Replies (41-47):
morrigan914
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM
The worst part for me is the "Ring of fire" when the babies crowning. Ooowwww!! But if you can opt for a numbing cream, I believe

SuperMom2433
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:36 PM
The ring of fire is what almost killed me (not literally speaking, by the way). I still made it without an epi.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1smartcookie
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM

I have three children. #1 was delivered almost naturally, meaning no epidural and only some Stadol in my IV toward the end (which I hated). The pushing felt great, actually. Major relief.

TTC2Long
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I did it au naturale. Lol. The pushing was the easy part. I tore a little, but it's all numb down there naturally if baby is in the right position, so I didn't feel that at all. It seems pointless to me to make it through the labor just to get an epi for the pushing. At many hospitals they turn the epi off for the pushing so the mama can feel what she's doing. It's far more efficient. Also, you'll be able to push in better positions than laying on your back which forces you to push up, against gravity and reduces your pelvic opening by 30%!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Quoting kmqw229:

The ring of fire hurt the worst!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klthornton78
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Mine was 9'7 I tore and had to be cut. It was awful pain. I had an epidural with my second and I was not nearly as exhausted or in as much pain
luvmylilbean
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I'd say the contractions when I was ready to push was the worst of it. It actually felt better for me to be pushing. The 'ring of fire' hurt, but it was only for a second. Honestly, after she was born and they were all pushing on my belly as hard as they could that hurt the most lol. Once she was born I completely forgot about all the pain I had just been it, it instantly disappeared. I had a 2nd degree tear too and I honestly don't remember feeling it happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)