Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pregnancy Cravings

By Nicole_H. on Oct. 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Since announcing my pregnancy, one of the first questions that people ask is: "Have you had any weird cravings yet?"  The question mainly comes from males as for some reason they associate pregnancy and cravings as part of a value combo.  I've heard some pretty crazy stories over the years of women and their interesting pregnancy cravings.  As a food blogger, I was kind of looking forward to this crazy food stage as it would allow for some creative recipe development.  Sadly though, well into my second trimester I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary.  Granted, I do crave foods that I was less likely to eat on a weekly basis before but nothing that would leave anyone grossed out or grossly intrigued.

My first trimester I was plagued with horrible sickness - all day, every day 24/7.  It was horrible to say the least.  While carbohydrates helped at first, the idea of them quickly aided in my nausea.  I think part of the problem is that I am one of those people who goes through food phases even when I am not pregnant.  Someone will mention what they are having for dinner or something they ate recently and I get it ingrained in my mind that I must make that certain dish AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  Once I make it (and if it's tasty) - it is all I want to eat for one week straight.  I am definitely one of those people to eat the same thing for lunch for two weeks and then stop cold turkey and move onto the next "best thing."

The number one thing I craved during my first trimester was apple fritters.  I would consider this sort of odd, but not anything out of the ordinary.  I do love donuts and I do love apples, but if I had my choice of morning breakfast/brunch foods I'd choose cheesy omelets, corned beef hash and eggs Benedict - any day.  Adding to this apple fritter frenzy was the fact that around this same time, a brand new donut shop opened just two short miles from our house.  It was a match made in heaven and although it been weeks since I've had one, I'd happily march my pregnant self over there right now and get one... if I had the energy.  Other things that kept me from not withering away were: baked potatoes and oatmeal.

As my second trimester progresses, most of the things I crave are things on the "not allowed to eat" list.  Major bummer as I'm pretty sure that prosciutto was placed on this earth with me (and my thighs) in mind.  Those cravings include: cured meats (as previously mentioned), deli meat, smoked salmon, tuna (whenever I want it!), runny eggs, hollandaise sauce, blue cheese and the real shocker - champagne!  I've never been much of a drinker so that last craving has really sent my husband and I for a loop.  I even joked with him today that I dream about him sneaking these treats into the hospital for me after little baby H is born.

Currently - I can't seem to get enough of Halloween candy (especially Mallow Cups), Honey Nut Cheerios with sliced bananas, Yogurt, Oranges, Popcorn, Thanksgiving Wraps and ice cold water (with a slice of lemon).  Other than that, there is nothing really exciting going on in this neck of the woods!  I guess my ideas of Big Macs and pickle peanut butter sandwiches will just have to live in my dreams for now.  I think I'm OK with that!

What was your favorite thing to eat while pregnant?  Did you have any weird cravings?  What was the food you missed the most (but could not have) during pregnancy?

photo © Nicole | www.bakingitonmyown.com

PS:  As my time blogging for this series comes to a close, I want to thank everyone that has been involved in this wonderful process.  Thank you to Graco for generously offering me the opportunity to share my journey.  Thank you to CafeMom for allowing me into their great blogging family and a huge thank you to all of the fantastic readers who have shared their stories and advice with me over the past 6 weeks.  I really appreciate all of your comments - they really brightened my day! Thank you all from the bottom of my heart!

Nicole_H. About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • MamaMandee
  • by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM
  • With my 1st one I loved eating orange ice pops at the same time I ate beef jerky. My middle child it was bacon and Ben & Jerry's Oatmeal ice cream (it was a limited edition and ended before I gave birth ... I cried) and with my youngest is was cheese. 

• Quote Reply
  • goddess99
  • by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM
  • The thing I missed the most was tea. I couldn't drink it. I craved McDonald's breakfast, unfortunately 10 years later that craving never went away.

• Quote Reply
  • Kmakksmom
  • by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM
  • With my oldest daughter I was always craving cheese puffs dipped in chocolate icing.  With my other 3 girls I was always craving McDonald's fries.  They had to be HOT.  If they weren't HOT when I got them, then my husband was going back, lol.  Cravings with my girls were always junk food related.  The cravings with my son were fruits and veggies.  My favorite snack while pregnant with him was strawberries, bananas and chocolate syrup.  Oh...and I craved root beer with him too.

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)