Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Go back to work? Or stay at home with the kids?

By OneofThoseWomen on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM

In the last six weeks we have gotten ready for a new baby.  We talked about getting physically prepared for the pregnancy and the labor and delivery.  We talked about getting everything from your child’s room to your relationship ready.  We talked about how important it is to prepare for an emergency and to lean on your family and friends.  Last week we talked about parenting styles .  But what we haven’t talked about yet is the question that seems to be at the heart of “the mommy wars.”  Are you already home with your older kids? Or after baby is born will you be on maternity leave and then returning to work?  Will you be a work at home mom? A stay at home mom? A work out of the house mom? How will you decide?

For many women the choice is not a choice at all.  Finances and the economy make that decision for many of us.  I haven’t touched on the subject - to stay at home with your kids vs. finding an alternative caregiver and returning to work - because it is so hard to discuss without emotions getting involved for that very reason.  For more than 75% of new mothers a return to work is not a choice that they make but a necessity to make ends meet.  (Pictured here is my then 8 week old asleep in the floor in my office.)

Depending upon where you live if you plan to return to work after a maternity leave of average length you are very likely making arrangements now before your baby is even born.  My oldest daughter was born in the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Year round residency was climbing in the years we were there and the resources necessary to support that year round population were growing as quickly as they could.  When I told a friend and co-worker that I was expecting the first words out of her mouth were “Get on a waitlist for daycare NOW, even if you think you won’t need it.”  I hadn’t even had the chance to hold my baby in my arms and I was expected to be choosing a daycare?

We could debate the merits of staying at home vs returning to work for days.  But is there any sense in it? Most of us are doing what our finances dictate for us as the only sustainable option.  Either we return to work because we need to or we stay home because the cost of quality daycare is so high that it negates our income.  If you are one of the lucky women that was able to choose what is best for your family without finances playing a role in the decision you certainly know you are fortunate.  

I am most interested not in knowing what you planned to do but what were the factors that played into your decision aside from finances?   For the mother preparing for a new baby what are the other things she might want to consider when making this decision?  Would staying home fulfill you emotionally?  Socially?  Could you return to your line of work after a few years off or would technological advances leave you feeling behind?  How flexible is your job or your career path?  Do you have family or trusted caregivers to rely on?

Whatever you decide the good news is this - you can change your mind.  Parenting is fluid and often what seems perfect on paper is a wholly different experience in reality.  And the other good piece of news - I went back to work with my oldest and stayed home with my youngest and they both know I love them.  

OneofThoseWomen About :
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
  • jessicasmom1
  • by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:44 AM
  • I became a SAHM when DD was born and then husband passed away ..So someday maybe but for now his wishes

• Quote Reply
  • jessicasmom1
  • by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM
  • Thank you,  we are doing fine DD is soon to be a teen teen girl

Quoting MamaBear2cubs:

So sorry for your loss.

Quoting jessicasmom1:

I became a SAHM when DD was born and then husband passed away ..So someday maybe but for now his wishes

• Quote Reply
  • natesmom1228
  • by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM
  • I was a single mother for many years so I have always worked full time. I was a stay at home mom for 2 years when the company I worked for was sold and I was laid off, I hated it. I work part time now, but I need to go back full time.

• Quote Reply
  • gacgbaker
  • by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 9:39 AM
  • My husband and I agreed before we got married that one of us would always be home with our children.  Our first was a surprise honeymoon baby, and we were not sure how to handle it.  I ended up working weekends and evenings while he worked during the day.  It could be a bit rough, but we made it though it.  I always thought I would be a SAHM, but I've actually always been a working mom- but managed to make sure to stick to the commitment that my husband or I would be home with them.  

• Quote Reply
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)