Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

flying while pregnant, i need advice... when are you too pregnant to take off!?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

ok i need advice on this one because i have heard a lot of different things, for Christmas this year we are planning to visit family in another state. we go every year so the trip its self is nothing new however i will be 7 1/2- 8 months pregnant this year... i have talked to my doctor and of course she doesn't believe that any pregnant woman should be traveling 2 months from delivery, however my sister and SO think that its no big deal and that there shouldn't be a problem... i am not sure about it, i mean if it was by car then i maybe open to the idea but its a 5 hour plane ride and i don't even know if they will allow me to fly that far alone. i am pretty sure that they have some kind of rules for pregnant women and seeing that my doctor wont approve of the trip i cant get a note saying that its alright...

the plane tickets have already been booked, and seeing that the family hasn't seen the LO in 2 years and he wont be with us next year (BM has him next year) SO says there is no way we are not going, so if I'm not allowed on the plane then he is just going to give me money for a cab and i will have to spend Christmas ALONE!!!! 

i really do want to go with the family for our Christmas trip but i have some real worries that i could go into labor early, among other things........ which could happen, but no one seems to think my worries are anything and have even gone as far as calling me selfish for not wanting to take part in the holiday or for wanting them to miss out. which isn't true, i just don't want to be alone or go into labor because of things..

AM I REALLY BEING SELFISH!? do i have anything to worry about with flying while pregnant?  who has flown while pregnant and how far along were you? 

by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Singlemominit
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Most airlines won't let you board once you're in your third trimester. They're stupid for not taking your pregnancy into serious consideration
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BosGirl0906
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:47 PM
My dr told me it was okay to fly up until your 8th month. From MY personal experience, I won't fly at all during my pregnancy. I'm 16 wks now but with my two previous pregnancies, I flew during the first trimester and miscarried right after each flight. I had some other medical factors that contributed to that but still, I'm not leaving the ground til this baby is out. I think if you are unsure and your doctor has told you to stay grounded, that's what you should do. I know it would be hard to spend Xmas alone, but your baby's safety is much more important. Your SO should understand. They need to be supportive and considerate and want what's best for you and your baby. Good luck mama :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
megan05
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

ive been checking into airline policies as well.. ill be 37 weeks at christmas and there isnt a company that would approve that.. let alone my doctor.. but usually anything before 36 weeks with a non high risk pregnancy should be ok

sj3starz
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM
This. I've heard 35 weeks and doctor clearance.I'm assuming they won't have you come in with written approval though so I wouldn't worry too much as long as you are healthy.

Quoting megan05:

ive been checking into airline policies as well.. ill be 37 weeks at christmas and there isnt a company that would approve that.. let alone my doctor.. but usually anything before 36 weeks with a non high risk pregnancy should be ok

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
japanmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM
I flew from Japan to WA at 35 weeks pregnant alone with a two year old with no problem. My feet swelled and I was tired but that's it.

But if your anxious and worried don't go. Spend Christmas with some friends :) it's not right for your family to be so flippant with your fears
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by Mandy on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM

I don't see any problem with flying. I believe the rule is no flying after 36 or 37 weeks. My friend flew the day before the cut off a few months ago. I would much rather fly than drive. That way you can get up and walk around, pee, drink plenty of water, etc. You could get some compression stockings to help prevent blood clots. And of course put your feet up when you can and drink drink drink.

I see no reason to miss out on Christmas. Have fun!

CatherineA670
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:07 AM
Short haul flights 2 hours, are 36 weeks with a letter from your doctor and anything from 3 hours or more is 26 weeks with a letter from your doctor. I was 25 weeks when I went to Canada from the uk which was a 7 hour flight with virgin and I was just on the boarder line.
Sadly you might have to have your family come to you this year x
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Radellia
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM

How many weeks will you be? I'll be flying for Thanksgiving at 28 weeks, my doctor said this was ok as long as everything with my pregnancy is going well. I've been constantly checking in with her about it also. If your going on a longer flight (and by that I mean longer than an hour) DO NOT SLEEP! It sucks... but you have to be able to get up and move around frequently to keep your circulation going. Small cat naps are ok, but no flight long sleeping... The major risk for pregnant women flying is blood clots... so keep moving and you should be fine :) Flexing your ankles while your sitting and trying to walk say to the bathroom every 30 or so minutes (not that you won't be anyways) will help keep your blood flowing!

Most airlines require a doctors clearance to fly after I believe 34-36 weeks, so if your before that you shouldn't have much problem. If you think they might give you hassle before then, then I'd say get a note from your doctor clearing you to fly anyways just in case. Note that they usually want the doctors not to be dated 48-72 hours from your flight.

piratepixie
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

i will be 33 wks when we are to leave and 35 wks when we come back after christmas... i have checked with the airline, we use delta and they dont have any restrictions or make you have a note from your doctor so its pretty much up to me rather i want to fly or not...

Quoting Radellia:

How many weeks will you be? I'll be flying for Thanksgiving at 28 weeks, my doctor said this was ok as long as everything with my pregnancy is going well. I've been constantly checking in with her about it also. If your going on a longer flight (and by that I mean longer than an hour) DO NOT SLEEP! It sucks... but you have to be able to get up and move around frequently to keep your circulation going. Small cat naps are ok, but no flight long sleeping... The major risk for pregnant women flying is blood clots... so keep moving and you should be fine :) Flexing your ankles while your sitting and trying to walk say to the bathroom every 30 or so minutes (not that you won't be anyways) will help keep your blood flowing!

Most airlines require a doctors clearance to fly after I believe 34-36 weeks, so if your before that you shouldn't have much problem. If you think they might give you hassle before then, then I'd say get a note from your doctor clearing you to fly anyways just in case. Note that they usually want the doctors not to be dated 48-72 hours from your flight.

pacificamom
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I wouldn't but take your doctor's advice into consideration and make an informed choice. I would look into the hospitals where you're traveling that take your insurance and find out the location closest to where you're staying. You don't want to have an issue and be scrambling to find out what to do out of state.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN