Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth plan or no birth plan that is the question.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should I even bother writing a birth plan?

Options:

No there's just no point in doing so.

Yes. I did it and it made the whole experience much easier.

No idea, I never thought of writing one.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 53

View Results

So what's your take on it?  I'm thinking of writing one just in case for whatever reason my midwife isn't there while I'm in labor. Have you ever written one? Would it just be a waste of time for me to write one and print out a few copies?

by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
KeiraRose
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Wow! Thanks for the links!

Quoting louzannalady:

Here is some information on what a birth plan can do for you and how to about writing one, if you decide you would like one.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17488367/Birth_plans?use_mobile=0

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 1:42 AM
You're welcome! Very glad they could help! : )

Quoting KeiraRose:

Wow! Thanks for the links!

Quoting louzannalady:

Here is some information on what a birth plan can do for you and how to about writing one, if you decide you would like one.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/117811/forums/read/17488367/Birth_plans?use_mobile=0

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn19
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM
when i got to the hospital they asked my birthplan and then didnt follow any of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM

I didn't vote because my experience wasn't on there.  I had one and copies made, but my son had other plans.  I didn't get much of what was on my plan, unfortunately.  I'm still glad I had it, but I've learned not to hold onto it so hard and fast.  I agree about it being a jinx, especially if it's long.  I've seen the same thing happen with other women with long, detailed birth plans (I tried not to be one of those women, but really, I was).  But giving those around you some idea of what you're looking for, whether to circumcise, what to do in case you DO need a c-section, etc can be very useful.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

purvislets
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM
I don't have a written out plan, but just a few major points that my husband and my care provider have been made aware of and will be reminded of fairly constantly in the coming weeks.

JocelynsMama1
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM

i can't vote because I would choose yes but i didnt have one the first time and i wish I had

Shelbypb
by Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Yes! Make one and make sure everyone knows about it. I didn't make one and really wished I had
CafeMom Tickers
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I thought about writing one, but never did.  It didn't seem like a necessity to me since I figured I'd wind up with a c-section and I did.

Larsbug
by Laura on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

some women love them, I PERSONALLY didn't see a use for one. Are there certain things that you would love to have happen during labor? Please keep in mind that your birth plan all depends on if everything goes as planned and you and baby are good during and after delivery (such as baby right onto chest, dad cutting cord, etc)

rachelrothchild
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I have never written one, but if you're having a hospital birth or anything like that I would.  I homebirth, so...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured