Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Have you worried about whether or not you'll be able to eat something while having your baby?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
  • 54 Replies

Eating During Labor? Moms Say Yes!

Posted by Mary Fischer on November 13, 2012 

mom and babyI don't care how some women try and sugarcoat it -- giving birth to a baby is hard work and requires a lot of energy, which is something I really didn't have much left of after laboring for nearly 24 hours with my son.

I was exhausted. I was overwhelmed. And you know what else? I was hungry as hell. And that's probably why I found myself nodding my head in agreement when I read an article about eating during labor being a good thing over at BabyCenter Blog today.

The author of the post, Denise Cortes, talked about how by the time she delivered her son, she was craving a sandwich so bad she could hardly stand it. And I think she summed up just how badly women in labor could really use a little bit of extra nourishment by saying, "Birthing women cannot survive on ice chips alone."

(Amen, girl -- you're preachin' to the choir here.)

I can't remember exactly how far along I was in labor before my doctor finally decided I would probably be able to handle things a lot better if I had a snack. (God bless her.)

She wound up ordering me a bowl of chicken broth, and let me just tell you -- I'm not sure that anyone on the face of this earth ever enjoyed a serving of chicken broth more. It tasted like pure heaven -- and I swear the minute it went down my throat, I felt the life coming back into my body (or something equally as dramatic).

I'm serious, ladies, it was like the nectar of the gods -- and I'm not sure I would've made it through the rest of the huffing and puffing and pushing if I hadn't been allowed to eat something.

Bottom line, if you find yourself having visions of sinking your teeth into the most delicious slice of pizza you've ever tasted (or whatever) in the middle of labor, don't be afraid to speak up and ask for a snack. Believe me -- something as simple as a bowl of chicken broth just might be the difference between being coherent during your birth experience and having your head spinning in circles.

Have you worried about whether or not you'll be able to eat something while having your baby?

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connorsmama06
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

It was never on my mind. I was not hungry 

purvislets
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

I always eat before heading to the hospital.  Thankfully I have had short labors (6-8 hours total) and was able to eat immediately afterwards, so unless this labor is extraordinarly longer than the other two I should be fine.

Josie_P
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going for a home birth so I should think that wouldn't be a problem ;)

DragonX
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:33 PM
3 moms liked this

No. I did eat during my first labor, and I will eat during the next one. I think it's ridiculous to deny a woman who is working harder than she ever has physically, mentally, and emotionally any sort of sustenance to help her get through it.

TTC2Long
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll eat whatever I want while I'm laboring. What are they going to do - kick me out?? I was pretty nauseous last time, so I swallowed a few Gu packets - its quickly available carbs for distance runners. Any outdoors or sport store will have them. Just be sure to avoid ones with stimulants and tons of sugar. They're great because they provide calories for your body to burn but you don't have to chew or take a long time to eat. You can suck one down between contractions.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
newmom121812
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

yes because i have such a high metabolism i know im gonna want to eat they tell me no its not gonna be good

Alyssa1992
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 4:41 PM

this is my first.. i remember my step mom got a popcicle when she had my brother.. why wont they let you eat??

louzannalady
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I did my first birth it was heck. I had to BEG for chocolate milk every two hours. I had to BEG for water. It is appalling the way women are treated during labor. My second birth, I knew better and just did what my body said to do! I ate breakfast about twenty minutes before I pushed! Lol! If I had had any meds that affected my mobility, I would not have done that, though, because it increases my chance of baby not coming down properly and ending up with a surgery. 

swmmra
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I plan on eating at home before going to the hospital. And I have been told that my hospital will allow clear fluids, so jello and broth. I am planning on waiting at home until I can't anymore, so hopefully I will be able to have energy for birthing. 

Candace8609
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I wasnt worried about eating but i was SOOO thursty during labor. My mom and sister kept sneaking me sips of water while dh was expressing how much of a bad idea that was :/ i wanted to hurt him...lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)