Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Are you going to raise your child with religion?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM
  • 88 Replies

I'm expecting my first child on May 25.  I haven't decided if I want to take my child to church or not.  I was raised in a church, but many of the people I know who are supposedly "Christian" were the worst people you could possibly imagine.  This fact did not change once I grew up.  I even switched to the Catholic faith, and for me personally, it was pretty bad.  This is not a reflection on the entire Protestant and Catholic faiths.  I think most people that go to church are probably trying their best. 

I am not saying these things to bash organized religion, just giving my perspective.  I don't go to church right now either, though I might if there were better churches around.  I don't know that I want my child exposed to organizations that are largely patriarcal and so judgemental.  I also don't know if it's a good idea to try to force my child to believe things that I'm not sure are true.

I'm toying with the idea of taking my child to several different churches of different religions, though that will be difficult given the area of the country I live in.  At least I could expose my child what's out there and let them make a choice, instead of expecting them to believe the way I do.  After all, I'm still trying to figure it out for myself, and I'm not so young anymore!

by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
piratepixie
by Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

NO

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm agnostic. I will teach my kids whatever they want to learn.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YngCollegeSMom
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I will educate them about ALL religion. If they want to go to church, I will allow that. I just want them to explore all their options. That way, when they are older, they can choose to be religious or not. Personally, I am agnostic and was pushed into Christianity as a child but I never felt a real connection with it so I did not see the point in pretending anymore. However, if my children decide to go that route, I will support them.

BabyFruit Ticker

Oceana09
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I am wiccan and have been for a couple of years now. I chose that religion because it's one of the only religions I have found that doesn't say "I'm right, you're wrong." "My Gods are real. You're God is not". I got tired of all the negativity growing up. People judging others based on religion, so I went for something that wasn't judgemental. I have not taught DD (who is 4) anything about my religion. I do however take her to Sunday School every Sunday (or at least I did until we moved. I haven't found a church here that quite fits my standards for her as far as a good learning environment goes) and I do this so that when she is older, we can sit down and talk about mommy's religion and she can choose from their what she would like to do. If she decides that she wants to study Wicca, then I will gladly teach her. If she decides she wants to try the Catholic religion, then so be it. I'm not a huge fan of the Mormon religion, but if she decides that she wants to try that religion then I will back her 100% of the way.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
Tabimom08
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:25 PM
No.. I have taken my dd..but my family is a good example if the jugemental Christian family and I will not allow my kids to be brought up like that. They will choose what they want to believe and ill support them. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soaringflutes
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for all the great replies, so far, and so fast!  It does sound like a more appealing idea to let my child choose what is right for them, rather than push something onto them that may not work for them.  I don't feel like I was pushed into Christianity, more like brainwashed into it.  Maybe there's not a difference.  I remember when I was a child constantly questioning whether or not I was in the right religion.  All my mother ever told me was that whatever religion I was born into was most likely what I would turn to.  That didn't really help.  I don't think it ever occured to my mother to take me to different churches. 

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We are Muslim,raising them to be Muslim

nicole2884
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

we are pretty neutral when it comes to religion ,we believe but we don't attend church i was raise episcopalian , the more i grew up an examined that church the more i realized how hypocritical the patrons were, then in an attempt to make my mother happy in inquired about being married there an that was the biggest dose of closer i needed to shut that door, they told me i wasn't a active christian an that i basically wanted the show without the dedication. require us to go service an be baptised, needless to say we didnt get married there. 

dh feels the same way people put on a church face an attend to make themselves look good, but then turn around an have horrible attitudes , an don't live the christian life. 

we have decided we will teach our children about religion within our home we will discuss a chapeter of the bible each week with them , teach them about all religions but we have no intentions of bringing them to the church

rnchelle93
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM

I will be raising my child in my religion. If or when he/she decides it isn't their path, I'll be totally ok with that, as long as they continue to respect my beliefs. I am Wiccan. 

Dom519
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a Christian i totally understand your view my stepfather is a ordained minister and we went to church every Sunday but once church was over he was a different person so i have always had my reservations about church and faith but now that I'm older and have my own son i love god and want to instill that in my son but i am very particular about my church attendance and the  role models around my son. If you believe and want your child to believe than your motherly instincts and your own experiences will help you find a good church environment and balance. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)