Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Horribly short of breath all week

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM
  • 9 Replies
Is this something I should be concerned about or is it just par for the course? Also feeling really tired and have a combination heart burn /nauseated feeling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:43 AM

It's probably normal. I know most women get out of breath as the baby presses against their lungs. When I got short of breath when I was preggo with my first it turned out to be pre-term labor but it was combined with getting really nauseous and flushed/hot at the same time. I mentioned it to my midwives and they didn't seem concerned until I told them about the rest of those symptoms as well. Feeling tired and heartburn is also normal. :-)

PresleyLove
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:21 AM
I get shortness of breath often. I'm 29 weeks, and especially when I eat it gets worse. I always feel the need to yawn or take deep breaths..
Plus-size-mommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

See, for me shortness of breath was my main symptom when I was diagnosed with a Pulmonary Embolism. I couldn't walk to the bathroom and back without being out of breath. If you think it's something, go get checked out, please!!

FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM
I will call my doc and tell her what's happening. Right now I am going to chug some oj to see if it helps. Think I may be anemic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devious103102
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Probably normal. Baby's probably just sitting up higher and mushing stuff in but deff talk to your doc about it to be on the safe side.

musicpisces
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

OJ can only make the burning worse, mama.  The baby presses on the stomach, and hormones relax the sphincter that keeps the stomach acid out of the esophagus.  Baby is also pressing on your diaphragm, making it harder to breathe.  But it can definitely be a sign of a pulmonary embolism or other complications if it came on suddenly.

Most anemia is related to iron (your OB can run blood tests for anemia).  OJ, unless it's iron-fortified, won't do much for that, either.

Make sure you're taking your prenatal vitamins to keep anemia at bay.  You may require additional supplements.  Make sure you do get tested if you suspect it, because the risk of postpartm hemorrhage goes up significantly if you're anemic, and you can help prevent it with vitamins.

Good luck!

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

I will call my doc and tell her what's happening. Right now I am going to chug some oj to see if it helps. Think I may be anemic.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

victoriahearts
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I think it happens a lot as your pregnancy progresses but always check with your doctor to make sure it's normal or something to be concern about. 

FarmGirl2B
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM
I felt so much better after eating a huge bowl of frosted mini wheats, which are high in iron. I make sure I take my prenatal every night. Thanks for all the help! I will see if doc will test my blood on Wednesday when i go in for my favorite orange drink test! :P
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachelrothchild
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:11 PM

You are probably anemic like me.  Watch your sugar too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN